Toxic friends or me being sensitive? (with examples)

I've been in a friend group for about 2 years after being with them on and off and being primarily friends with a childhood friend for a decade. They have always been the "outcasts" and I joined them because a previous friend group ditched me completely. I had always considered them as my true, real friends and everything was amazing.

Until now, fast forward to ages 17-18. For the last 3 months, they have been extremely toxic, and because I, for some reason, am always prone to bullying, I'm the target of their bullying and I'm never taken seriously.

However, I'm just gonna give 2 examples in the third person and try to sound unbiased and you guys can form your personal opinion on this.

  1. OP had found a gorgeous car in a Facebook group but since she's a fairly new driver she shouldn't get it due to crash/bump risk. OP sent it to the friend group chat with that information and got responses like:
    "jesus christ OP, seriously?"
    "OP, are you gonna drive 120 on a 50 street? no? then what?" <- OP's boyfriend responded with "anything can happen in any situation" (rest is after that, when the chaos started)
    "so you're never gonna get the car that you want?"
    "don't buy an expensive phone, kids, cause it might break :/"
    "don't go swimming, people have drowned"
    and more. OP's boyfriend wrote a small paragraph with the logical explanation on why it wouldn't be smart for OP to get the car and the group said things such as:
    "ooh, she's writing an essay!"
    "remember proper grammar!"
    When the paragraph was complete they kept going with the joke and didn't listen to the logical explanation.

  2. Happened recently, last week. There was a school rave and OP wanted to join their friend group in their little pre-game. OP's boyfriend had come over (dosen't live in the same town). OP was a bit indecisive but in the end she wanted to go. Suddenly, she recieves a text from the group telling her to not come because the only friend who could drive was refusing to go 3 trips (the place was a max 2-3 min drive). OP expressed her hurt feelings and the friends responded with:
    "stop taking it so personally"
    "it would just be a mess"
    "she's barely accepting 2 trips" <- yet once they tried to pressure me to drive a dangerous road so we could go skiing (we needed 2 cars).
    "stop, thanks"

Sorry for the long post, these examples needed a lot of detail to make sense. What do you guys think, are they toxic or am I just "taking everything too personally"? I don't have any other friends and I don't wanna end up alone in school again, I was severely depressed from that before. Thanks in advance.

**TL;DR;** : I don't know whether my friend group is toxic and if I should leave them or if I'm just being sensitive. They have attacked me in the group chat for a simple logical statement and belittled me for it and excluded me from a pre-game while ignoring my hurt feelings.

Edit: format



Submitted April 05, 2019 at 07:23PM

I've been in a friend group for about 2 years after being with them on and off and being primarily friends with a childhood friend for a decade. They have always been the "outcasts" and I joined them because a previous friend group ditched me completely. I had always considered them as my true, real friends and everything was amazing.Until now, fast forward to ages 17-18. For the last 3 months, they have been extremely toxic, and because I, for some reason, am always prone to bullying, I'm the target of their bullying and I'm never taken seriously.However, I'm just gonna give 2 examples in the third person and try to sound unbiased and you guys can form your personal opinion on this.OP had found a gorgeous car in a Facebook group but since she's a fairly new driver she shouldn't get it due to crash/bump risk. OP sent it to the friend group chat with that information and got responses like:"jesus christ OP, seriously?""OP, are you gonna drive 120 on a 50 street? no? then what?" <- OP's boyfriend responded with "anything can happen in any situation" (rest is after that, when the chaos started)"so you're never gonna get the car that you want?""don't buy an expensive phone, kids, cause it might break :/""don't go swimming, people have drowned"and more. OP's boyfriend wrote a small paragraph with the logical explanation on why it wouldn't be smart for OP to get the car and the group said things such as:"ooh, she's writing an essay!""remember proper grammar!"When the paragraph was complete they kept going with the joke and didn't listen to the logical explanation.Happened recently, last week. There was a school rave and OP wanted to join their friend group in their little pre-game. OP's boyfriend had come over (dosen't live in the same town). OP was a bit indecisive but in the end she wanted to go. Suddenly, she recieves a text from the group telling her to not come because the only friend who could drive was refusing to go 3 trips (the place was a max 2-3 min drive). OP expressed her hurt feelings and the friends responded with:"stop taking it so personally""it would just be a mess""she's barely accepting 2 trips" <- yet once they tried to pressure me to drive a dangerous road so we could go skiing (we needed 2 cars)."stop, thanks"Sorry for the long post, these examples needed a lot of detail to make sense. What do you guys think, are they toxic or am I just "taking everything too personally"? I don't have any other friends and I don't wanna end up alone in school again, I was severely depressed from that before. Thanks in advance.**TL;DR;** : I don't know whether my friend group is toxic and if I should leave them or if I'm just being sensitive. They have attacked me in the group chat for a simple logical statement and belittled me for it and excluded me from a pre-game while ignoring my hurt feelings.Edit: format

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.