I (24f) got drunk around my sister (28f) and let her know how much my mental health is struggling. She won’t stop texting me about it.

I’ve dealt with depression at various points throughout my life, and I’ve considered my sisters (28f, 25f) my best friends but I try not to let them know because anytime I have broached the subject, I am accused of attention-seeking. But two weekends ago, I was with both sisters (which is rare, because I live in Colorado and they live on either coast) and when we were drinking, I finally told them how I’ve been struggling. In such a state, I told my oldest sister about past suicide attempts and my current episode.

After we all parted back to our respective hometowns, I began receiving texts from her asking if I’d found a therapist, demanding that I set up an appointment with one and give her all the information, that when I found one I had to call her after each appointment, that I had to set up regular appointments and give her access to my calendar, etc. I feel like this is a huge invasion of my privacy.

To be fair, therapy wouldn’t be a bad idea. I used student health services when I was in college but I graduated in May. The only non-university therapy I’ve gone to was a disaster, wherein he told me it was all in my head and that if I found God it would all go away. So while I’m open to the idea of therapy, I’m not so keen on reporting back to my big sister as if she’s my boss. I’ve tried to tell her in the past that I feel like she is less interested in helping or being a sister and more interested in being “right”.

So my question is, am I out of line in feeling this way? And beyond that, how do I get her to understand how hurt I feel by the way she reacted?

TLDR: my big sister made my own mental health struggle a way to exert control over my life, how do I tell her it doesn’t help and I’m hurt by her reaction



Submitted April 05, 2019 at 09:14PM

I’ve dealt with depression at various points throughout my life, and I’ve considered my sisters (28f, 25f) my best friends but I try not to let them know because anytime I have broached the subject, I am accused of attention-seeking. But two weekends ago, I was with both sisters (which is rare, because I live in Colorado and they live on either coast) and when we were drinking, I finally told them how I’ve been struggling. In such a state, I told my oldest sister about past suicide attempts and my current episode.After we all parted back to our respective hometowns, I began receiving texts from her asking if I’d found a therapist, demanding that I set up an appointment with one and give her all the information, that when I found one I had to call her after each appointment, that I had to set up regular appointments and give her access to my calendar, etc. I feel like this is a huge invasion of my privacy.To be fair, therapy wouldn’t be a bad idea. I used student health services when I was in college but I graduated in May. The only non-university therapy I’ve gone to was a disaster, wherein he told me it was all in my head and that if I found God it would all go away. So while I’m open to the idea of therapy, I’m not so keen on reporting back to my big sister as if she’s my boss. I’ve tried to tell her in the past that I feel like she is less interested in helping or being a sister and more interested in being “right”.So my question is, am I out of line in feeling this way? And beyond that, how do I get her to understand how hurt I feel by the way she reacted?TLDR: my big sister made my own mental health struggle a way to exert control over my life, how do I tell her it doesn’t help and I’m hurt by her reaction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.