I [24 M] am not comfortable with my GF's [25 F] relationship with her best friend [25 M] after snooping through her phone. What do I do about it?

I would like to preface this all with some facts about me, I am currently a 4th year Uni student and my girlfriend, S, is a 6th/final year student. I have a photographic memory (relevant later on) and I have been diagnosed with OCD and Manic-Depression (which basically means my mood swings between compulsive/ridiculously over-productive/not sleeping for days/doing risky things and being paranoid/obsessive/depressed).

At the start of our dating journey, late 2016, we decided to talk about all of our previous relationships and sexual experiences (in hindsight, we probably shouldn't have?), I asked her about her previous sexual history with one of her best friends of 7 years, J , but she revealed that they had "hooked up once while travelling in India", she said it was a "travellers high" and she regretted it when she came back.

I am naturally a very paranoid person but I trust her most out of all the people I know, but I can always tell when she's lying...and I felt quite uneasy about her answer; so I did a bad thing and snooped through her phone (yes, bad, I know), and when you look where you're not supposed to you find things you didn't want to find; Intimate and explicit, sexual, romantic conversation, sexting and talking about meeting up a couple times, a month after the trip in India. I weeped really hard for the first time in my life as I read through the conversations because I felt guilty for looking through it in the first place and had felt betrayed that I was lied to by one of my most trusted people.

Initially, I didn't tell her I snooped because of how ashamed I was, and held it in for a solid 6 months' during which I was superficially acting as though everything was okay. In the meantime, whenever we did hang out with J, they were really chummy, with heaps of inside jokes and I felt like they had a really special bond.

I finally broke things off out of the blue late last year because the deep anxiety and obsessiveness over "what they had>what we had" became too much for me to handle in my own head.

In the time since the break-up, I gained a better handle on my mental health issues and got help, I have improved dramatically since. We started talking again last month, and I apologised and admitted to her that I invaded her privacy and looked through her phone and told her what I found. She said that that had explained my previous actions and that it "all made sense".

We talked it all out and our relationship at the moment is, I believe, going better than it ever has before.

Now, I love this woman, and I'm sure she loves me. So I don't want to put her in a position where I am an abusive and possessive partner by telling her I am not comfortable with her best-buddy J, nor do I want to suffer the constant struggle of having J in our lives.

QUESTION I'm not sure what to do with this J situation and I wish I knew how to approach it properly. Are there restrictions I should put on them hanging out? Would me being better friends with him help the situation? How do I unread the sexts that are burnt into my memory?

TL;DR My girlfriends current best-friend had a sexual relationship with her 3 years ago, which she underplayed and now I feel really weird about them hanging out. I don't want to be abusive but I also want to set my standards down for what kind of interactions I'm okay with.



Submitted April 05, 2019 at 08:04PM

I would like to preface this all with some facts about me, I am currently a 4th year Uni student and my girlfriend, S, is a 6th/final year student. I have a photographic memory (relevant later on) and I have been diagnosed with OCD and Manic-Depression (which basically means my mood swings between compulsive/ridiculously over-productive/not sleeping for days/doing risky things and being paranoid/obsessive/depressed).At the start of our dating journey, late 2016, we decided to talk about all of our previous relationships and sexual experiences (in hindsight, we probably shouldn't have?), I asked her about her previous sexual history with one of her best friends of 7 years, J , but she revealed that they had "hooked up once while travelling in India", she said it was a "travellers high" and she regretted it when she came back.I am naturally a very paranoid person but I trust her most out of all the people I know, but I can always tell when she's lying...and I felt quite uneasy about her answer; so I did a bad thing and snooped through her phone (yes, bad, I know), and when you look where you're not supposed to you find things you didn't want to find; Intimate and explicit, sexual, romantic conversation, sexting and talking about meeting up a couple times, a month after the trip in India. I weeped really hard for the first time in my life as I read through the conversations because I felt guilty for looking through it in the first place and had felt betrayed that I was lied to by one of my most trusted people.Initially, I didn't tell her I snooped because of how ashamed I was, and held it in for a solid 6 months' during which I was superficially acting as though everything was okay. In the meantime, whenever we did hang out with J, they were really chummy, with heaps of inside jokes and I felt like they had a really special bond.I finally broke things off out of the blue late last year because the deep anxiety and obsessiveness over "what they had>what we had" became too much for me to handle in my own head.In the time since the break-up, I gained a better handle on my mental health issues and got help, I have improved dramatically since. We started talking again last month, and I apologised and admitted to her that I invaded her privacy and looked through her phone and told her what I found. She said that that had explained my previous actions and that it "all made sense".We talked it all out and our relationship at the moment is, I believe, going better than it ever has before.Now, I love this woman, and I'm sure she loves me. So I don't want to put her in a position where I am an abusive and possessive partner by telling her I am not comfortable with her best-buddy J, nor do I want to suffer the constant struggle of having J in our lives.QUESTION I'm not sure what to do with this J situation and I wish I knew how to approach it properly. Are there restrictions I should put on them hanging out? Would me being better friends with him help the situation? How do I unread the sexts that are burnt into my memory?TL;DR My girlfriends current best-friend had a sexual relationship with her 3 years ago, which she underplayed and now I feel really weird about them hanging out. I don't want to be abusive but I also want to set my standards down for what kind of interactions I'm okay with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.