My(20f) partner(21m) responded to me being upset about a lack of effort by suggesting a break?

This morning I kind of blew up about feeling worthless because he doesnt make an effort to do things that people do in relationships to show how they feel. Think the 5 love languages.

It was a long conversation and he has responded saying maybe we should have a break but that's not what he wants.

I instigated a break a few months ago because I had to sort out some mental health things (which were triggered by a medication trial). I was freaking out everyday and figured that I needed a solid reason for myself that would force me to sort my problems out, rather than leaning on my partner for support. For example I found myself spiraling and using him to make myself feel better rather than actually solving my problems.

I feel like that was a justified reason for a break and am kind of blindsided by him suggesting one now. How are my problems of feeling undervalued going to be solved by having a break? It's like I told him that I want more effort put in and he responds by suggesting the exact opposite.

I don't even know how to reply let alone what I want to say. I don't want to be petty but I feel like saying; "Is this your way of telling me that you never want to put in effort and I should use the break to get used to it?"

I don't know how to respond and just need an outside perspective

tldr: bf's response to a request to put in more effort is to put in none at all



Submitted May 26, 2019 at 06:25AM

This morning I kind of blew up about feeling worthless because he doesnt make an effort to do things that people do in relationships to show how they feel. Think the 5 love languages.It was a long conversation and he has responded saying maybe we should have a break but that's not what he wants.I instigated a break a few months ago because I had to sort out some mental health things (which were triggered by a medication trial). I was freaking out everyday and figured that I needed a solid reason for myself that would force me to sort my problems out, rather than leaning on my partner for support. For example I found myself spiraling and using him to make myself feel better rather than actually solving my problems.I feel like that was a justified reason for a break and am kind of blindsided by him suggesting one now. How are my problems of feeling undervalued going to be solved by having a break? It's like I told him that I want more effort put in and he responds by suggesting the exact opposite.I don't even know how to reply let alone what I want to say. I don't want to be petty but I feel like saying; "Is this your way of telling me that you never want to put in effort and I should use the break to get used to it?"I don't know how to respond and just need an outside perspectivetldr: bf's response to a request to put in more effort is to put in none at all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.