I (16F) am drifting away from my only close friend (18F)

I'm a junior and she's a senior. We're actually just over a year apart, but she just had her birthday and mine is in July.

We don't hang out after school because both of us are busy, but we stay an extra 45 minutes before our parents pick us up (we don't drive) and talk. But for the past winter months we didn't do that because I had musical rehearsal after school (like November to February I didn't see her too much). Actually just these last months we started doing it again, but our friendship has changed and I'm starting to question whether we should even be friends.

I know I am a big complainer, and I need to work on it/go to therapy. But still, every time I try to talk about something, even when I try to avoid complaining (maybe it still sounds like I'm discussing an issue, idk), she doesn't listen and be sympathetic like she used to or anything, she just endlessly gives advice. She was always heavy with the advice, but it's even more so now and really starting to annoy me. Like, I just want to talk as friends and equals, but every time I bring something up she just gives me advice for like five minutes straight while I just have to sit there and nod and listen and can't get a word in while she tells me what to do. Sometimes it's helpful, but today I literally found myself wanting to do the exact opposite of her advice simply because I was so annoyed about it.

She's graduating in about 10 weeks though, so I'm thinking I'll just not bring it up. But it's really sad because just 6 months ago we were super close, and now I guess I feel we've drifted and it's more obvious than ever that we're on different paths. It just really sucks because she's my only close friend, and next year I'll have no one, so I really wanted to enjoy this time I had with her while I could.

And now I'm starting to think maybe we just didn't mesh together well as friends in the first place, and now it's exacerbated? I think we've both also changed subtly since then, too. I used to be more studious and goody goody like her, and now I'm a bit more like whatever about school.

Anyway, it's just really making me sad that I basically lost this friend... What do I do? Can I even do anything?

Tl;dr: I'm losing my best friend because she's annoying me by incessantly giving advice, but it might be too late to do anything anyway :(



Submitted April 19, 2019 at 06:48AM

I'm a junior and she's a senior. We're actually just over a year apart, but she just had her birthday and mine is in July.We don't hang out after school because both of us are busy, but we stay an extra 45 minutes before our parents pick us up (we don't drive) and talk. But for the past winter months we didn't do that because I had musical rehearsal after school (like November to February I didn't see her too much). Actually just these last months we started doing it again, but our friendship has changed and I'm starting to question whether we should even be friends.I know I am a big complainer, and I need to work on it/go to therapy. But still, every time I try to talk about something, even when I try to avoid complaining (maybe it still sounds like I'm discussing an issue, idk), she doesn't listen and be sympathetic like she used to or anything, she just endlessly gives advice. She was always heavy with the advice, but it's even more so now and really starting to annoy me. Like, I just want to talk as friends and equals, but every time I bring something up she just gives me advice for like five minutes straight while I just have to sit there and nod and listen and can't get a word in while she tells me what to do. Sometimes it's helpful, but today I literally found myself wanting to do the exact opposite of her advice simply because I was so annoyed about it.She's graduating in about 10 weeks though, so I'm thinking I'll just not bring it up. But it's really sad because just 6 months ago we were super close, and now I guess I feel we've drifted and it's more obvious than ever that we're on different paths. It just really sucks because she's my only close friend, and next year I'll have no one, so I really wanted to enjoy this time I had with her while I could.And now I'm starting to think maybe we just didn't mesh together well as friends in the first place, and now it's exacerbated? I think we've both also changed subtly since then, too. I used to be more studious and goody goody like her, and now I'm a bit more like whatever about school.Anyway, it's just really making me sad that I basically lost this friend... What do I do? Can I even do anything?Tl;dr: I'm losing my best friend because she's annoying me by incessantly giving advice, but it might be too late to do anything anyway :(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.