Alternative Ideas For Getting Closer and Working Through Issues

I've never posted here before, but could use some advice regarding my marriage.

A little back story...

My husband (age 34) and I (age 30) have been married for almost 4 years, and have been together for over 11 years. We are very much in love, and are each other's best friends. However, I believe, due to outside forces and a lack of good, productive communication, we argue in a loud way, often enough for us both to feel like we could work on it. My husband is a recovering alcoholic, and is doing great, and also struggles with the depression and anxiety that typically goes along with it. I also have a bit of anxiety myself, and we both tend to be very stubborn and hard-headed when it comes to our arguments. We both tend to come from a defensive place.

We have tried a little bit of therapy, and my husband has gone through quite a bit of therapy on his own to deal with his issues. Couples therapy just hasn't felt all that helpful, and honestly, is a little beyond our means to do often or regularly.

I'm wondering if anyone has any alternative recommendations for books to read, activities to do, etc. that may help bring us closer together and help us to communicate better so that we can grow and learn to deal with conflict better.

Thanks! 🥰



Submitted May 23, 2019 at 09:06PM

I've never posted here before, but could use some advice regarding my marriage.A little back story...My husband (age 34) and I (age 30) have been married for almost 4 years, and have been together for over 11 years. We are very much in love, and are each other's best friends. However, I believe, due to outside forces and a lack of good, productive communication, we argue in a loud way, often enough for us both to feel like we could work on it. My husband is a recovering alcoholic, and is doing great, and also struggles with the depression and anxiety that typically goes along with it. I also have a bit of anxiety myself, and we both tend to be very stubborn and hard-headed when it comes to our arguments. We both tend to come from a defensive place.We have tried a little bit of therapy, and my husband has gone through quite a bit of therapy on his own to deal with his issues. Couples therapy just hasn't felt all that helpful, and honestly, is a little beyond our means to do often or regularly.I'm wondering if anyone has any alternative recommendations for books to read, activities to do, etc. that may help bring us closer together and help us to communicate better so that we can grow and learn to deal with conflict better.Thanks! 🥰

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.