My (23f) boyfriend (24m) of 3 years insults my intelligence and then blames me?

By boyfriend & I were talking about our childhoods etc and high school came up. He went to school mechanical engineering and is very math/science oriented. I went to the same college as him for violin performance and I am now a private music teacher.

I went to a very small high school (Approx. 100 students). It was a performing arts school, but the core curriculum was the same as public school, I went to a good middle school (private) & I did very well in school my entire life. Straight A's until my senior year when I first started to experience depression- when I still had great grades just had bad attendance.

I graduated 2nd in my class. after he asked me what I got on my sat test. I got an 1800 on my SAT. I took it twice

First he playfully denied it, that he doesn't believe me because that's the score that he got,

I told him that is offensive. I told him I've always done well in school and that before I started drinking a lot (sadly) I was quite sharp and good at math and science.

Then he asked if I think I could have done better than him or the same in mechanical engineering

I told him I think if I tried hard and went right into that field after high school while it was still fresh in my mind that I could have done just as well

Then he told me that's really offensive, and that I'm acting like he didn't work hard, that I would have flunked out and that he would "smoke me" even if we went back to school, that if he played violin he would be just as good in half the time.

I started arguing with him because I never said anything to offend him like that or insult his intelligence, I simply said that if I tried hard I think I could have done well.

Then he said that I am lying about what I said, that I said it in tone like I could do better etc. Told me to sleep on the couch To shut up Started yelling in my face

He tried to start playing call of duty but I argued more and then started crying, he apologized for being a dick but when I tried to talk/explain why I was upset got accused of not being able to let things go.

Hes in bed now, I am on the couch. Will talk tomorrow. Am I an asshole or should I hold my ground?

Tldr: my boyfriend insulted my intelligence and then completely turned it around.



Submitted May 25, 2019 at 05:50AM

By boyfriend & I were talking about our childhoods etc and high school came up. He went to school mechanical engineering and is very math/science oriented. I went to the same college as him for violin performance and I am now a private music teacher.I went to a very small high school (Approx. 100 students). It was a performing arts school, but the core curriculum was the same as public school, I went to a good middle school (private) & I did very well in school my entire life. Straight A's until my senior year when I first started to experience depression- when I still had great grades just had bad attendance.I graduated 2nd in my class. after he asked me what I got on my sat test. I got an 1800 on my SAT. I took it twiceFirst he playfully denied it, that he doesn't believe me because that's the score that he got,I told him that is offensive. I told him I've always done well in school and that before I started drinking a lot (sadly) I was quite sharp and good at math and science.Then he asked if I think I could have done better than him or the same in mechanical engineeringI told him I think if I tried hard and went right into that field after high school while it was still fresh in my mind that I could have done just as wellThen he told me that's really offensive, and that I'm acting like he didn't work hard, that I would have flunked out and that he would "smoke me" even if we went back to school, that if he played violin he would be just as good in half the time.I started arguing with him because I never said anything to offend him like that or insult his intelligence, I simply said that if I tried hard I think I could have done well.Then he said that I am lying about what I said, that I said it in tone like I could do better etc. Told me to sleep on the couch To shut up Started yelling in my faceHe tried to start playing call of duty but I argued more and then started crying, he apologized for being a dick but when I tried to talk/explain why I was upset got accused of not being able to let things go.Hes in bed now, I am on the couch. Will talk tomorrow. Am I an asshole or should I hold my ground?Tldr: my boyfriend insulted my intelligence and then completely turned it around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.