Long Distance Marriage Advice?

My husband and I have been friends for 13 years, together for 7, and married for 3 years this September.

He has been the most amazing husband, supporting my dreams of going back to school and completing my undergraduate degree. It has not been easy financially and I’ve spent so many nights at the library instead of at home, but I officially graduate this Saturday!

I’ve done well enough that I was also accepted into a Graduate School program in my field with assistantship to cover tuition. Only problem is that it’s three hours away in the middle of nowhere.

If I had been accepted to a school in a bigger city, I think we would both have agreed to move together, but there’s no where for him to work in this college town. So we decided he will keep all of our stuff and the two cats at our townhouse, and I will be renting a fully furnished apartment near the college and taking our dog with me. We are trying to figure out visiting, but I’m thinking every other weekend is probably what will happen.

I’m worried how this environment change will affect our relationship, as we have never dated long distance. He’s so happy for me, but also is going to miss me a lot (and I will obviously miss him too).

It’s a two year program and I move this August. So fellow married people of reddit... any advice?



Submitted May 09, 2019 at 12:28AM

My husband and I have been friends for 13 years, together for 7, and married for 3 years this September.He has been the most amazing husband, supporting my dreams of going back to school and completing my undergraduate degree. It has not been easy financially and I’ve spent so many nights at the library instead of at home, but I officially graduate this Saturday!I’ve done well enough that I was also accepted into a Graduate School program in my field with assistantship to cover tuition. Only problem is that it’s three hours away in the middle of nowhere.If I had been accepted to a school in a bigger city, I think we would both have agreed to move together, but there’s no where for him to work in this college town. So we decided he will keep all of our stuff and the two cats at our townhouse, and I will be renting a fully furnished apartment near the college and taking our dog with me. We are trying to figure out visiting, but I’m thinking every other weekend is probably what will happen.I’m worried how this environment change will affect our relationship, as we have never dated long distance. He’s so happy for me, but also is going to miss me a lot (and I will obviously miss him too).It’s a two year program and I move this August. So fellow married people of reddit... any advice?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.