Asking out people in a customer service position?

A quick search did not give me any info, though I have trouble believing this has not been discussed.

I'd also add that I'm not really the most "experienced" of people when it comes to the opposite gender. Especially relationships. I've had a few drunken hookups/one night stands in college, but nothing particularly steady or long term.

Anyway. I go to a restaurant, there's a cute girl working there. Good restaurant, good deal on a certain day of the week, so I start going for that deal on that day pretty much every week.

Now, personally, I have never hit on someone working in customer service for the simple reason that (in the US) they are basically being paid to treat me nicely. This means that hitting on someone in that position puts them in between a rock and a hard place, effectively forcing them to put up with my potentially unwanted advances because I could complain and cause them more grief. Or they might be pressured to flirt back for a bigger tip, or whatever else. Basically, they can't really be up front about saying "no" without potential repercussions.

Now, as much as I'm usually a dick, I don't want to make people uncomfortable, especially if I'm interested in them. And it's a fast casual place, so she only makes the burrito and takes my card at the register, not actually dealing with me as a waitress.

I was thinking of giving her my number next time I'm paying, and saying something along the lines of "text me, or don't, you get paid to be nice so I'll follow your lead" specifically to avoid her being uncomfortable. I also wanna keep going to the restaurant regardless of her answer, because the food is excellent, so I don't want long-term uncomfortable.

Thoughts? Too passive? Still not okay due to customer service interaction?

EDIT: If, at this point, your only contribution is the word "No", then save your time and upvote one of the other no's. Or add some reasoning. Or literally anything past the word "no". Because the word "no" adds nothing, and leads me to believe that you did not read past the title. There are much more insightful no's down there.



Submitted April 26, 2019 at 04:39PM

A quick search did not give me any info, though I have trouble believing this has not been discussed.I'd also add that I'm not really the most "experienced" of people when it comes to the opposite gender. Especially relationships. I've had a few drunken hookups/one night stands in college, but nothing particularly steady or long term.Anyway. I go to a restaurant, there's a cute girl working there. Good restaurant, good deal on a certain day of the week, so I start going for that deal on that day pretty much every week.Now, personally, I have never hit on someone working in customer service for the simple reason that (in the US) they are basically being paid to treat me nicely. This means that hitting on someone in that position puts them in between a rock and a hard place, effectively forcing them to put up with my potentially unwanted advances because I could complain and cause them more grief. Or they might be pressured to flirt back for a bigger tip, or whatever else. Basically, they can't really be up front about saying "no" without potential repercussions.Now, as much as I'm usually a dick, I don't want to make people uncomfortable, especially if I'm interested in them. And it's a fast casual place, so she only makes the burrito and takes my card at the register, not actually dealing with me as a waitress.​I was thinking of giving her my number next time I'm paying, and saying something along the lines of "text me, or don't, you get paid to be nice so I'll follow your lead" specifically to avoid her being uncomfortable. I also wanna keep going to the restaurant regardless of her answer, because the food is excellent, so I don't want long-term uncomfortable.Thoughts? Too passive? Still not okay due to customer service interaction?​EDIT: If, at this point, your only contribution is the word "No", then save your time and upvote one of the other no's. Or add some reasoning. Or literally anything past the word "no". Because the word "no" adds nothing, and leads me to believe that you did not read past the title. There are much more insightful no's down there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.