What is the right way to end a trainwreck date and handle someone who gets angry that you want to leave?

I had a coffee and desserts first date. I'm 29(f) he's 29(m).

He was being extremely standoffish and testy as soon as he picked me up. Not reciprocating a smile or talking much. I thought he's just reserved and I'm more bubbly but I don't mind.

I found him very attractive so I gave it a pass and kept trying to spark conversation but when we actually sat down things took a dramatic turn for the worse.

He kept staring me down in a weird unfriendly way so I asked him if everything was ok and if I looked ok . And he said yes, why do you ask. I said you seem maybe a little unhappy.

He just kept staring me down and said no I just had a migraine. Then he started saying "oh finally you smile"

When I had been smiling the whole time and he'd been the one with the straight face in the car. He then started repeatedly chuckling for no reason and saying "you're funny, you're funny"

But I wasn't doing anything particularly funny. I started getting uncomfortable.

Until then I had brought up topics like tv shows sports teams, and dancing to try to start a conversation but he would always answer in a fewwords and didn't seem interested in having a convo. I stopped trying .

I desperately wanted to leave at this point So I started to eat my dessert fast and kept a pleasant demeanor just didn't try as hard to start the convo.

He then started saying that he liked my top and he asked me "what do you call that " I said it's a shirt and he said no it's not it's shawl "

I said ok yeah it does look like a shawl but overall he seemed super disagreeable about whether it was a shawl or not. I said thank you very much. Just because I thought ok killem with kindness .

He just smirked and kept staring and said "you look funny with your little army fatigue shawl"

It honestly seemed like he was mocking and he kept smirking and saying it was a "funny little shawl"

Then he kept asking me about the type of dance I do and I started talking about how I like certain Latin dances but I'm not good at them and he abruptly interrupts me and said "stop dancing around the question"

I was shocked and it was probably meant as a joke but it really wasn't funny . So I kept a straight face and answered him directly . Then I said I had to get going. He d only eaten half his slice so he said ok just wait for me to finish this.

Honestly I didn't want to wait for him but he told me he wanted to pay for it I said are you sure and then said thank you.

So I felt like he wanted to force me to sit there with him. Quite frankly I was miserable and I had the Uber one click away.

As soon as he finished and paid I hit the Uber and it came immediately. I said oh hey my Uber is here now bye! But he chased after me and I said thank you bye.

He said wait ... Let me drive you I declined and he said come on don't do that cancel your Uber

I said no thank you He then said ok have a good night I said thanks bye and started to walk away but he started following me and I got scared he shouted after me "wait wait ! Come on!"

Then I started walking fast and crossed the street quickly even when I didn't have the light.

Then he gave up but started calling me nonstop til I blocked him .this all happened in the pouring rain

I'm shook now cus I felt scared I never had anyone start chasing me down when I politely tried to leave in my Uber.

All he paid for was my matcha latte and fruit tart.

TL;DR what should I have done to end a date when I felt a person was being extremely rude.

And what to do when a person won't take no for an answer about driving me home and/or doesn't accept the in person rejection of someone clearly not wanting to continue the date.



Submitted April 13, 2019 at 03:15AM

I had a coffee and desserts first date. I'm 29(f) he's 29(m).He was being extremely standoffish and testy as soon as he picked me up. Not reciprocating a smile or talking much. I thought he's just reserved and I'm more bubbly but I don't mind.I found him very attractive so I gave it a pass and kept trying to spark conversation but when we actually sat down things took a dramatic turn for the worse.He kept staring me down in a weird unfriendly way so I asked him if everything was ok and if I looked ok . And he said yes, why do you ask. I said you seem maybe a little unhappy.He just kept staring me down and said no I just had a migraine. Then he started saying "oh finally you smile"When I had been smiling the whole time and he'd been the one with the straight face in the car. He then started repeatedly chuckling for no reason and saying "you're funny, you're funny"But I wasn't doing anything particularly funny. I started getting uncomfortable.Until then I had brought up topics like tv shows sports teams, and dancing to try to start a conversation but he would always answer in a fewwords and didn't seem interested in having a convo. I stopped trying .I desperately wanted to leave at this point So I started to eat my dessert fast and kept a pleasant demeanor just didn't try as hard to start the convo.He then started saying that he liked my top and he asked me "what do you call that " I said it's a shirt and he said no it's not it's shawl "I said ok yeah it does look like a shawl but overall he seemed super disagreeable about whether it was a shawl or not. I said thank you very much. Just because I thought ok killem with kindness .He just smirked and kept staring and said "you look funny with your little army fatigue shawl"It honestly seemed like he was mocking and he kept smirking and saying it was a "funny little shawl"Then he kept asking me about the type of dance I do and I started talking about how I like certain Latin dances but I'm not good at them and he abruptly interrupts me and said "stop dancing around the question"I was shocked and it was probably meant as a joke but it really wasn't funny . So I kept a straight face and answered him directly . Then I said I had to get going. He d only eaten half his slice so he said ok just wait for me to finish this.Honestly I didn't want to wait for him but he told me he wanted to pay for it I said are you sure and then said thank you.So I felt like he wanted to force me to sit there with him. Quite frankly I was miserable and I had the Uber one click away.As soon as he finished and paid I hit the Uber and it came immediately. I said oh hey my Uber is here now bye! But he chased after me and I said thank you bye.He said wait ... Let me drive you I declined and he said come on don't do that cancel your UberI said no thank you He then said ok have a good night I said thanks bye and started to walk away but he started following me and I got scared he shouted after me "wait wait ! Come on!"Then I started walking fast and crossed the street quickly even when I didn't have the light.Then he gave up but started calling me nonstop til I blocked him .this all happened in the pouring rainI'm shook now cus I felt scared I never had anyone start chasing me down when I politely tried to leave in my Uber.All he paid for was my matcha latte and fruit tart.TL;DR what should I have done to end a date when I felt a person was being extremely rude.And what to do when a person won't take no for an answer about driving me home and/or doesn't accept the in person rejection of someone clearly not wanting to continue the date.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.