Is this considered normal these days?

My (28f) husband (35m), in six days, has had over 1.75 liters of whiskey. At home. Most of it after I go to bed.

That’s over 40 shots.

This is a regular occurrence.

When I bring it up, he either says “oh wow, yeah that’s a lot” and drinks water for a day or two or “get off my ass.”

Sometimes I can tell he’s drunk, as he’ll get pretty mean. But most of the time, he doesn’t seem too drunk. Which, I think, means he holds it well. And that’s not a good thing.

He’s admitted to a problem in the past. He stopped drinking for maybe two weeks. Most of the time, he tells me I just have an issue with alcohol (my dad is an alcoholic).

I don’t have an issue with alcohol. I’ll drink maybe one or two drinks a week. I just have an issue with alcohol being an issue.

Is 1.75 liters a week an issue? Drinking is so popular now, it seems like most people drink more than they technically should. I’ve read posts of people drinking a handle a week.

Should I just get off his ass? Am I being controlling? Or should I try to help? I’ve tried being super nice, and I’ve tried being mean and stern about it. Nothing works.

TL;dr: husband drinks over 1.75 liters a week. I’m worried about him.

Update: we got into an argument about sex (so stupid...he keeps making me feel guilty for not having sex...we have plenty of sex) and I said, “we can’t have this conversation when you’ve had five drinks.” He says, “this isn’t nearly enough to put up with your bullshit.”



Submitted May 19, 2019 at 10:31PM

My (28f) husband (35m), in six days, has had over 1.75 liters of whiskey. At home. Most of it after I go to bed.That’s over 40 shots.This is a regular occurrence.When I bring it up, he either says “oh wow, yeah that’s a lot” and drinks water for a day or two or “get off my ass.”Sometimes I can tell he’s drunk, as he’ll get pretty mean. But most of the time, he doesn’t seem too drunk. Which, I think, means he holds it well. And that’s not a good thing.He’s admitted to a problem in the past. He stopped drinking for maybe two weeks. Most of the time, he tells me I just have an issue with alcohol (my dad is an alcoholic).I don’t have an issue with alcohol. I’ll drink maybe one or two drinks a week. I just have an issue with alcohol being an issue.Is 1.75 liters a week an issue? Drinking is so popular now, it seems like most people drink more than they technically should. I’ve read posts of people drinking a handle a week.Should I just get off his ass? Am I being controlling? Or should I try to help? I’ve tried being super nice, and I’ve tried being mean and stern about it. Nothing works.TL;dr: husband drinks over 1.75 liters a week. I’m worried about him.Update: we got into an argument about sex (so stupid...he keeps making me feel guilty for not having sex...we have plenty of sex) and I said, “we can’t have this conversation when you’ve had five drinks.” He says, “this isn’t nearly enough to put up with your bullshit.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.