/u/Sammiche on Can we have a serious conversation about things like this. I really wish negativity like this wasn’t a thing. DISCLAIMER; this may be offensive to some people!!! I am not a sensitive person, but I had a hard time keeping it together while watching this.

The way I see it, LGBTQIA+ and pride are all about representation. How did it go? "We're here, we're queer, and we're fabulous."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the entire point to show that WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEANS? I mean, it's so easy to hate something that you don't see or talk to. Now you've got people marching in pride parades that you KNOW. Neighbors. Coworkers. Classmates. Friends. Family. And you've got allies marching too.

And honestly, that sort of thing is why I believe that everyone under the ace umbrella should be included as well. Not because we think we're more or less or equally oppressed as everyone else, but because we're "different" too, and we want to show that we exist with them.

Acceptance isn't a finite resource, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Anyway, it'd be really nice to welcome her here and have a non-confrontational discussion to address her concerns, but failing that, I'll just settle for putting this out there:

Bisexuals and aces have a lot in common. We're both often told that our orientations are the result of us not knowing what we actually want, or that we're just using the label in order to get attention. We face prejudice from both within and outside the LGBT+ communities. We're told that our struggles don't matter because our orientations allow us to "appear to be normal" and therefore avoid the vitriol thrown at homosexuals in particular. It sounds like your experience with aces has been mostly negative, and while I can't apologize for an entire orientation or people claiming to speak for an entire orientation, I can at least offer a heartfelt "that really sucks and I'm sorry to hear it".

And to add that as an ace, I want to be included as part of the LGBT+ community because I think we should all support each other. Not because I think that you should support US, but because I think that I should support YOU. Because you are all of us. And we are all of you. Or something. I thought I was being deep but it sounds kind of weird so whatever.

Basically, I want us to not fight amongst ourselves because we should be focusing our efforts on fighting the TRUE enemy.

Murky Dismal.





May 14, 2019 at 04:59AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.