/u/inane_quiddity on Doctor acknowledges asexuality [ Am I ace on “Ask Doctors” ]

Not too long after I'd first figured out I was Ace, it came up when I was talking to my then GP. The reaction was... not good. At all.

It took me a couple of years to build up the confidence to bring it up to another medical professional, and thankfully the reactions have been consistently positive ever since.

My policy nowadays is to only mention it if it is relevant (no need to tell my allergist for example), but if it might be relevant, I mention it in the very first session. That way if they have a problem I can go find a different doctor to see instead and not waste either of our time.

Seriously though, your doctor should not give a damn - and any professional worth their salt will be capable of not letting their personal opinion on LGBT issues change the way they treat their patients. I think most doctors not familiar with LGBT stuff won't really get the concept (probably think asexual means 'not interested') but they'd be cool with it in a 'you do you' way at least.





May 14, 2019 at 07:19AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.