/u/arianeb on Have you ever heard any negative stereotypes about ace people?

There are actually two classic stereotypes that have existed for literally centuries, out dating the word, which makes sense given asexuality has, like most sexual orientations, been around throughout history. If you look up asexuality on wikipedia and go to the "In the media" section, you will find them: Sherlock Holmes and Gilligan.

Sherlock Holmes is the cold unfriendly type what the British in those Victorian times called the "Confirmed bachelor", and Gilligan the naive immature type that is afraid of affection. If Gay men are stereotypically portrayed as effeminate, asexuals are stereotypically portrayed similar to Gilligan. In fact Todd from Bojack Horseman is kind of a Gilligan.





April 25, 2019 at 06:51AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.