I (M22) can’t sleep in bed with girlfriend (F23)

Me (22) and my gf (23) have been together for 1.5 years, living together for about a year. Here is the problem: I can’t get optimal sleep with somebody else in bed. I’ve never been a great sleeper, even single, but it’s worse now.

It’s not horrible, but far from perfect. I’ve tried earplugs, but don’t like that either. It’s a combination of sound (she often snores), movement (she bumps into me a lot) and just simply the thought that there’s somebody there who could wake up any moment. The last part makes it impossible for me to sleep in. When I wake up at 6-7, which I usually do, I want to continue sleeping because I’m still a bit tired, but knowing that she could get up anytime makes it impossible for me to fall asleep again.

The only thing that seems to somewhat work is a kingsize bed with a lot of pillows in between so she won’t come close to me (learned from hotel stays with her). But we live in a small student apartment where that won’t even fit.

I often, somewhat secretly, move to the couch once she’s asleep, but that obviously has its own downsides.

I’ve discussed seperate beds with her, but that really is a hard no for her, says one of her favorite things about the relationship is sleeping together (how are you even supposed to argue with someone after she says something that sweet).

It sounds rediculous, but I’ve even thought about breaking up with her even though we have a good relationship simply because of this.

TL;DR I can’t get optimal sleep with my girlfriend in bed, she refuses to sleep in seperate beds



Submitted April 25, 2019 at 06:13AM

Me (22) and my gf (23) have been together for 1.5 years, living together for about a year. Here is the problem: I can’t get optimal sleep with somebody else in bed. I’ve never been a great sleeper, even single, but it’s worse now.It’s not horrible, but far from perfect. I’ve tried earplugs, but don’t like that either. It’s a combination of sound (she often snores), movement (she bumps into me a lot) and just simply the thought that there’s somebody there who could wake up any moment. The last part makes it impossible for me to sleep in. When I wake up at 6-7, which I usually do, I want to continue sleeping because I’m still a bit tired, but knowing that she could get up anytime makes it impossible for me to fall asleep again.The only thing that seems to somewhat work is a kingsize bed with a lot of pillows in between so she won’t come close to me (learned from hotel stays with her). But we live in a small student apartment where that won’t even fit.I often, somewhat secretly, move to the couch once she’s asleep, but that obviously has its own downsides.I’ve discussed seperate beds with her, but that really is a hard no for her, says one of her favorite things about the relationship is sleeping together (how are you even supposed to argue with someone after she says something that sweet).It sounds rediculous, but I’ve even thought about breaking up with her even though we have a good relationship simply because of this.TL;DR I can’t get optimal sleep with my girlfriend in bed, she refuses to sleep in seperate beds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.