Warmth of an old flame.

Recently reconnected with an ex who is now leaving town.

I was the one who ended it (it was about an 8-mo relationship) and as a result, she needed to cut contact, so we haven't really talked since the breakup about 3 years ago.

Lots has happened for both of us in the interim. I suffered a heartbreak from someone else (and am thankfully moving out of it), she too had another relationship which did not work out and also completed her Masters -- with that complete she's decided to leave town.

She was the one who reached out to initiate the get-together and reconnect. We had coffee a few weeks back and then grabbed dinner again tonight.

It's been great seeing her again! I had forgotten how close we were when we were dating and I was surprised at how much it felt like reconnecting with an old friend. We both seem pretty mature about everything that happened and are openly supportive and admiring of what we've accomplished since then. I'm finding myself sad that I'm just rediscovering this connection on the eve of her departure which is in just a few weeks. Also from the perspective of how tumultuous my last relationship was, her stable demeanor and chill attitude seems to be having a calming effect on me which is very welcome. I will sincerely miss her.

This post is just offering a little reflection on it all. 3 years ago I ended it for what were the right reasons for me at that time, but I can't help but contemplate the 'what if's' and just generally lament how confusing life and love can be some times.

I'm not seeking to make a grand gesture or anything like that, but am curious if others have had similar experiences/ponderings when reconnecting with former lovers.

TLDR: Reconnecting with an ex who is leaving town, surprised to find comfort in it, melancholic to see her go.



Submitted May 16, 2019 at 07:29AM

Recently reconnected with an ex who is now leaving town.I was the one who ended it (it was about an 8-mo relationship) and as a result, she needed to cut contact, so we haven't really talked since the breakup about 3 years ago.Lots has happened for both of us in the interim. I suffered a heartbreak from someone else (and am thankfully moving out of it), she too had another relationship which did not work out and also completed her Masters -- with that complete she's decided to leave town.She was the one who reached out to initiate the get-together and reconnect. We had coffee a few weeks back and then grabbed dinner again tonight.It's been great seeing her again! I had forgotten how close we were when we were dating and I was surprised at how much it felt like reconnecting with an old friend. We both seem pretty mature about everything that happened and are openly supportive and admiring of what we've accomplished since then. I'm finding myself sad that I'm just rediscovering this connection on the eve of her departure which is in just a few weeks. Also from the perspective of how tumultuous my last relationship was, her stable demeanor and chill attitude seems to be having a calming effect on me which is very welcome. I will sincerely miss her.This post is just offering a little reflection on it all. 3 years ago I ended it for what were the right reasons for me at that time, but I can't help but contemplate the 'what if's' and just generally lament how confusing life and love can be some times.I'm not seeking to make a grand gesture or anything like that, but am curious if others have had similar experiences/ponderings when reconnecting with former lovers.TLDR: Reconnecting with an ex who is leaving town, surprised to find comfort in it, melancholic to see her go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.