/u/RivetAce on I feel very awkward about marriage talk.

It's a tough skill to learn, carrying a conversation in something you're not interested in.
I have the same problem, and not just for relationships: I'm a guy who's not interested in sports, cars, or first person shooters so there's not much I can relate to with a lot of guys when it comes to small talk.

I have two tips. First, ask questions. They don't even have to be great questions, honestly. The thing about questions is that they prompt the other person to reply, which is good since they're the only one who has much to say about the topic.
Second, and even more important than asking questions: silence is golden. You'd be surprised at how effective silence is at carrying a conversation. The other person says something, and instead of saying "yeah" or "mmhmm" or asking a question or whatever, just smile and be completely silent. Often within 5 seconds, they'll be talking again.





May 17, 2019 at 07:03AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.