Is it a big deal or not that my [22F] dad [60sM] put his hands on my neck once?

When I was 16 my parents went through my desk, found snacks and stuff they didn't want me to have, and while I was trying to stop them my mom told my dad to hold me down. He put his hands on my neck and somehow put some pressure there, I don't know how; at some point I started feeling like I couldn't breathe.

I told him that I couldn't breathe as it started happening. My mom asked him if he was squeezing/pushing and he said something like "no, I'm not using any pressure at all." Eventually he stopped and I could breathe again. There weren't marks or anything.

Later on I looked up strangling and it seemed like there's no way I could be experiencing trouble breathing from strangling unless it was a lot more painful or a lot more pressure. So I figured it was probably just anxiety that made it hard for me to breathe, and my dad was probably right about not using much pressure.

But sometimes I look back and think, what if he actually was strangling me? What if not being able to breathe was from him squeezing my neck? It's hard to wrap my head around (especially since we never spoke of it again) and I just wish I knew whether his efforts were 'legit' or he just had his hands on my neck to intimidate me and never actually intended to squeeze.

My dad is hard to read and I'm really just trying to make sense of this memory in my head. Is this the sort of thing most people get from a pissed off dad once in a while?

EDIT: For context, it's not like this is something that keeps me up at night; I'm asking because I found a gun in my dad's closet and am trying to figure out whether there is a need to be concerned.

tl;dr Dad put his hands on my neck; unclear if he started strangling me or I was just feeling anxious.



Submitted May 27, 2019 at 05:17AM

When I was 16 my parents went through my desk, found snacks and stuff they didn't want me to have, and while I was trying to stop them my mom told my dad to hold me down. He put his hands on my neck and somehow put some pressure there, I don't know how; at some point I started feeling like I couldn't breathe.I told him that I couldn't breathe as it started happening. My mom asked him if he was squeezing/pushing and he said something like "no, I'm not using any pressure at all." Eventually he stopped and I could breathe again. There weren't marks or anything.Later on I looked up strangling and it seemed like there's no way I could be experiencing trouble breathing from strangling unless it was a lot more painful or a lot more pressure. So I figured it was probably just anxiety that made it hard for me to breathe, and my dad was probably right about not using much pressure.But sometimes I look back and think, what if he actually was strangling me? What if not being able to breathe was from him squeezing my neck? It's hard to wrap my head around (especially since we never spoke of it again) and I just wish I knew whether his efforts were 'legit' or he just had his hands on my neck to intimidate me and never actually intended to squeeze.My dad is hard to read and I'm really just trying to make sense of this memory in my head. Is this the sort of thing most people get from a pissed off dad once in a while?EDIT: For context, it's not like this is something that keeps me up at night; I'm asking because I found a gun in my dad's closet and am trying to figure out whether there is a need to be concerned.tl;dr Dad put his hands on my neck; unclear if he started strangling me or I was just feeling anxious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.