/u/P8zvli on How do I talk to my therapist about my asexuality?

I'm sorry to hear that. I learned about asexuality in the midst of therapy, I'm thankful that when I told my therapist what I found she didn't question it, in fact she seems to be endlessly fascinated with what I'm finding. (Initially she tried to describe what sexual attraction felt like and I had no idea what she was talking about! That helped convince her I think, but I don't think that's helpful for your situation.) The cynic in me thinks that she might be humoring me because she's impressed by how much progress I made after I realized I'm ace, but my gut feeling is she thinks it's a valid orientation.

My aceness gives me complications that I can bring to my therapist, for instance I get harassed by my coworkers occasionally for not having a girlfriend. They think I need help or something, and the last time this happened I brought up asexuality and they thought I was joking. Whatever, I hate my job so I don't care anymore, but that kind of thing still gets under my skin anyway. Maybe if you can show your therapist that you're put into distressing situations that are distressing because of your sexuality they'll begin to take you more seriously? Again, I'm sorry you're having trouble finding a therapist who will listen. I got lucky that my therapist is so open about the idea of asexuality, but maybe that's because I live in a fairly progressive state? (Colorado)





May 02, 2019 at 04:17AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.