My (F17) aunt (F60) that I live with is mad at me for my mental illness.

My (F17) aunt (F62) that I currently live with yelled at me for my mental illness.

Hi!

I currently am finishing my senior year in a new state, I moved across the country and my mother did not make the move, yet. In the meantime, I have been living with my aunt for about three months and it has been manageable for the most part.

Of course, it’s not ‘my’ home, and I do not feel comfortable. My aunt and uncle try to make me feel at home, but it is very difficult and I feel I have no privacy. They are very opinionated, and feel free to say whatever comes to their minds.

I am used to living in a larger home, with just my mother and I and we were both very independent and living with her was perfect. I worked, went to school, hung out with friends, I was barely home.

Moving your senior year across the country to a new high school has definitely been one of the hardest things I’ve gone through. My mother still lives across the country, I haven’t seen her in three months and I miss her a lot.

I have been dealing with many issues, depression is very prevalent on both sides of my family so it was no surprise when I was diagnosed. I have been self medicating with weed for about 7-8 months, although I have reduced usage to night time since I am on medication.

I have a job here, and I work and go to school. I do sleep a lot, and on weekends I would prefer to “bum” around and not do much. Some days it’s very difficult for me to function, and I feel trapped and very lonely. I do not have many friends here, and definitely not close friends. I feel trapped and am very unhappy, and life is very hard for me and I’m still trying.

I started a new medication less than a week ago (Zoloft) and it has been rough. My anxiety the first few days was almost crippling, and I expressed my concerns to my aunt. I have always been open to conversation, and feel I can have an adult conversation.

Yesterday, I was in bed around 2pm (Sunday’s are one of my two off days, so I was just relaxing all day). My aunt comes home, texts me to “get up”. I tell her I am tired and no I am not getting up. Keep in mind, I help around the house when asked and keep my room tidy, do the dishes when they need to be done, and help around and always do what they ask. She starts to yell saying I am “out of touch with reality” and “I don’t know hard work” and I need to get up or she will get me up and it’s “not a threat it’s a promise”. I am shocked. After I told her ESPECIALLY lately I have been having a hard time, she goes off on me for being in bed.

I am not her child, she is not my mother, if she is concerned about me she can have a conversation with me. I ALWAYS will listen when there is mutual respect in a conversation. However, if you yell and start acting like that towards me, I’m not going to listen.

I know I sleep a lot, it is a struggle for me to function and do anything most days! Why would she do this if she knows how hard of a time I’m having?

Today, (the next day) we picked up where we left off and I told her how I am willing to talk, but I will not talk to her if she yells and treats me like crap. I mentioned the things she said and she said I was “hallucinating” and I “must have been on something” (I was completely sober). Only to later on in the conversation admit to saying those things.

I am trapped, I am lost, life feels hopeless for me right now and I just want a peaceful home life. I do not feel comfortable in this house, and at the least just want to be civil and not fighting. Any suggestions? Advice? I really do not want to talk to her, she can never see when she is wrong and is very toxic at time. She has done many things for me (including letting me live here), and we got along for a while so I am confused as to why all of a sudden she’s treating me like this.

Thank you guys, any feedback is well appreciated. :)

TL:DR - My aunt that I live with got very mad and yelled at me because I am depressed and slept in on my day off.

Edit: Grammar.



Submitted October 14, 2019 at 11:16PM

My (F17) aunt (F62) that I currently live with yelled at me for my mental illness.Hi!I currently am finishing my senior year in a new state, I moved across the country and my mother did not make the move, yet. In the meantime, I have been living with my aunt for about three months and it has been manageable for the most part.Of course, it’s not ‘my’ home, and I do not feel comfortable. My aunt and uncle try to make me feel at home, but it is very difficult and I feel I have no privacy. They are very opinionated, and feel free to say whatever comes to their minds.I am used to living in a larger home, with just my mother and I and we were both very independent and living with her was perfect. I worked, went to school, hung out with friends, I was barely home.Moving your senior year across the country to a new high school has definitely been one of the hardest things I’ve gone through. My mother still lives across the country, I haven’t seen her in three months and I miss her a lot.I have been dealing with many issues, depression is very prevalent on both sides of my family so it was no surprise when I was diagnosed. I have been self medicating with weed for about 7-8 months, although I have reduced usage to night time since I am on medication.I have a job here, and I work and go to school. I do sleep a lot, and on weekends I would prefer to “bum” around and not do much. Some days it’s very difficult for me to function, and I feel trapped and very lonely. I do not have many friends here, and definitely not close friends. I feel trapped and am very unhappy, and life is very hard for me and I’m still trying.I started a new medication less than a week ago (Zoloft) and it has been rough. My anxiety the first few days was almost crippling, and I expressed my concerns to my aunt. I have always been open to conversation, and feel I can have an adult conversation.Yesterday, I was in bed around 2pm (Sunday’s are one of my two off days, so I was just relaxing all day). My aunt comes home, texts me to “get up”. I tell her I am tired and no I am not getting up. Keep in mind, I help around the house when asked and keep my room tidy, do the dishes when they need to be done, and help around and always do what they ask. She starts to yell saying I am “out of touch with reality” and “I don’t know hard work” and I need to get up or she will get me up and it’s “not a threat it’s a promise”. I am shocked. After I told her ESPECIALLY lately I have been having a hard time, she goes off on me for being in bed.I am not her child, she is not my mother, if she is concerned about me she can have a conversation with me. I ALWAYS will listen when there is mutual respect in a conversation. However, if you yell and start acting like that towards me, I’m not going to listen.I know I sleep a lot, it is a struggle for me to function and do anything most days! Why would she do this if she knows how hard of a time I’m having?Today, (the next day) we picked up where we left off and I told her how I am willing to talk, but I will not talk to her if she yells and treats me like crap. I mentioned the things she said and she said I was “hallucinating” and I “must have been on something” (I was completely sober). Only to later on in the conversation admit to saying those things.I am trapped, I am lost, life feels hopeless for me right now and I just want a peaceful home life. I do not feel comfortable in this house, and at the least just want to be civil and not fighting. Any suggestions? Advice? I really do not want to talk to her, she can never see when she is wrong and is very toxic at time. She has done many things for me (including letting me live here), and we got along for a while so I am confused as to why all of a sudden she’s treating me like this.Thank you guys, any feedback is well appreciated. :)TL:DR - My aunt that I live with got very mad and yelled at me because I am depressed and slept in on my day off.Edit: Grammar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.