My [23/M] parents [55/M] [53/F] are trying to hold me back from living my life.

My parents are very restricting and don’t want me to live my own life and make my own choices.

I told my parents that my friend and I have made plans to get an apartment in January, and my mom bugged out and started screaming at me saying that I wasn’t moving out. She has a lot of mental health issues and is very nosy/overbearing. She is verbally abusive towards me and pretty much wants me to live at home forever. She always says that she wishes that I was a child again because that’s the version of me that she misses.

My father on the other hand treats me like I’m some kind of lazy dumbass. I told him yesterday that I bought a skateboard online so I could pick up a new skill, and he said “are you f*cking stupid? you better return that before it gets here because that’s an accident waiting to happen.”

I feel as if my parents want me to grow up to be the most boring and miserable f*cking individual alive. They are both miserable in their marriage and are always cussing each other out.

My sister, who is 30 and has an amazing job on the other side of the country, told me that she had to go to therapy because of what our mother put us through as kids.

Any advice?

tl;dr - my parents are overbearing and don’t want me to do things that I want to do and to grow as an individual.



Submitted April 25, 2020 at 11:38PM

My parents are very restricting and don’t want me to live my own life and make my own choices.I told my parents that my friend and I have made plans to get an apartment in January, and my mom bugged out and started screaming at me saying that I wasn’t moving out. She has a lot of mental health issues and is very nosy/overbearing. She is verbally abusive towards me and pretty much wants me to live at home forever. She always says that she wishes that I was a child again because that’s the version of me that she misses.My father on the other hand treats me like I’m some kind of lazy dumbass. I told him yesterday that I bought a skateboard online so I could pick up a new skill, and he said “are you f*cking stupid? you better return that before it gets here because that’s an accident waiting to happen.”I feel as if my parents want me to grow up to be the most boring and miserable f*cking individual alive. They are both miserable in their marriage and are always cussing each other out.My sister, who is 30 and has an amazing job on the other side of the country, told me that she had to go to therapy because of what our mother put us through as kids.Any advice?tl;dr - my parents are overbearing and don’t want me to do things that I want to do and to grow as an individual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.