My grandparent is going deaf and needs a hearing aid, how do we convince her?

This probably sounds ridiculous, but me and my family are out of ideas.

My nan is in her 80s, her hearing is not as good as it once was (its awful). She cant hear normal people unless they shout, has the TV on twice as loud, and is adamant that everyone is mumbling and that we dont talk properly. She genuinely believes this, but I think it's just a cover story. It's really affecting her day to day life and causing a lot of issues.

I think it hurts her pride to admit shes getting old and things arent as great as they used to be.

So, how do we convince her she needs one? Everytime we say something she gets super defensive, gets angry etc. We've tried the sympathetic angle too, suggesting that she is missing out on conversations etc. Any help from someone who's been through something similar appreciated.

Tl:dr; My nan has gone deaf, refuses to admit she needs a hearing aid, how do we convince her?



Submitted January 02, 2020 at 12:13AM

This probably sounds ridiculous, but me and my family are out of ideas.My nan is in her 80s, her hearing is not as good as it once was (its awful). She cant hear normal people unless they shout, has the TV on twice as loud, and is adamant that everyone is mumbling and that we dont talk properly. She genuinely believes this, but I think it's just a cover story. It's really affecting her day to day life and causing a lot of issues.I think it hurts her pride to admit shes getting old and things arent as great as they used to be.So, how do we convince her she needs one? Everytime we say something she gets super defensive, gets angry etc. We've tried the sympathetic angle too, suggesting that she is missing out on conversations etc. Any help from someone who's been through something similar appreciated.Tl:dr; My nan has gone deaf, refuses to admit she needs a hearing aid, how do we convince her?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.