My (21M) roommate (22M) showers literally twice a year and it’s starting to affect my quality of life.

We’ve been living together in a fraternity house for about a year now.

He stays up to ungodly hours of the night smoking weed and playing video games, his diet consists only of fast food, and he showers once every few months (that is not an exaggeration at all). Literally the last time he showered was the end of May and it is now the end of July. You can tell because his hair is so greasy that it looks gelled and when he showers, it looks like normal hair.

He’s also pretty mean and not great company, beyond being gross and smelly. He doesn’t clean up after himself ever and is very argumentative. To be fair, I would be angry all the time too if I hadn’t showered in two months and I was probably malnourished and dehydrated.

It got so bad that all my roommates (house of 5) ostracized him all last year. He can be unshowered all he wants, we just don’t want to be around that. But I’m a little worried about him.

He doesn’t really have any friends, he’s graduated and doesn’t have any job prospects at all, and he literally sits in his room all day, playing video games until 5am. I want to say or do something to help him, but I don’t know where to start. He’s moving out in a month, but I feel bad for him still.

It’s also embarrassing when I have friends over or my girlfriend over and they have to see this smelly guy I live with.

How do I help him? At least the showering part. I get that I can’t cure his depression, but how do I at least get him to take more showers?

TL;DR - My roommate showers twice a year and his argumentative personally combined with his general grossness makes him hard to be around.



Submitted July 29, 2019 at 11:36PM

We’ve been living together in a fraternity house for about a year now.He stays up to ungodly hours of the night smoking weed and playing video games, his diet consists only of fast food, and he showers once every few months (that is not an exaggeration at all). Literally the last time he showered was the end of May and it is now the end of July. You can tell because his hair is so greasy that it looks gelled and when he showers, it looks like normal hair.He’s also pretty mean and not great company, beyond being gross and smelly. He doesn’t clean up after himself ever and is very argumentative. To be fair, I would be angry all the time too if I hadn’t showered in two months and I was probably malnourished and dehydrated.It got so bad that all my roommates (house of 5) ostracized him all last year. He can be unshowered all he wants, we just don’t want to be around that. But I’m a little worried about him.He doesn’t really have any friends, he’s graduated and doesn’t have any job prospects at all, and he literally sits in his room all day, playing video games until 5am. I want to say or do something to help him, but I don’t know where to start. He’s moving out in a month, but I feel bad for him still.It’s also embarrassing when I have friends over or my girlfriend over and they have to see this smelly guy I live with.How do I help him? At least the showering part. I get that I can’t cure his depression, but how do I at least get him to take more showers?TL;DR - My roommate showers twice a year and his argumentative personally combined with his general grossness makes him hard to be around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.