I am so happy

I’ve had some type of dating site for five (5) years. I went on over 20+ dates. I only had a second date once, and after I thought everything went so well, he told me he was no longer interested.

I've dealt with depression and anxiety since I was 15, and dating was already difficult enough. After that last date, I didn’t feel comfortable going on any after that. I was so sure that I was destined to be alone (I’m only 22, so yeah, that was naive).

I was tired of men. I’d been on dates where the men had insulted my work, my appearance, I experienced a sexual assault on one, and I was just genuinely downtrodden. So I vowed that I’d stop looking.

I deleted all of my dating apps, cleared my mind, and started focusing more on myself and my work/schooling.

And then, right as I’d given up: I was talking to my female coworker (kind of like a second mother to me) about how cute our other coworker was in his work pants, haha. Of course, she told him. I didn't think much of it until my phone lit up one afternoon in the middle of class and it was him.

We talked all day. We talked about our politics, about school, work, his hobbies and mine: and then he suggested we go to coffee to talk more. That's when we really hit it off. He was into all of the same hobbies but had hobbies of his own as well. Our political opinions were similar, our upbringings were both full of surprises, and everything was just... comfortable.

Fast forward to the end of the first date—we walked into my apartment and he immediately saw my empty IKEA furniture boxes that I had yet to put together.

“Do you want some help with these?”

I never believed in any sort of love before that moment. But now I had a man in front of me that was seriously offering to help me tackle the Mount Everest of furniture assembly.

That was the moment I knew I loved him.

Since that day 5 months ago, I've fallen more in love with him every day.

He's helped me build IKEA furniture (a task that is worthy of love in the first place), he's encouraged me to work on my hobbies and gives me tips/tricks to improve while he works alongside me. He recently lost his mom and he communicated his feelings throughout the entire thing and he lets me know when he needs something.

He not only makes me want to be a better person, but he does so without tearing down the person I am now.

While he's already swept me off of my feet by this point, the most heartwarming thing happened recently.

My roommates had suddenly decided they no longer want to live with me after our lease is up in July. This left me only a few months to scramble and find another apartment, while having very little savings.

I needed someone to rant to and had just happened to complain about it to my partner, and without hesitation: he suggested that I move in with him.

And so, the second the lease is over, I'll finally be moving into a place with the person I love.

We've started saving money and have a little bit saved already and we don't even move in until August! We've been so excited. We talk about filling the place with hanging plants and flowers, how we'll be cooking meals together in an effort to become healthier, and I am just so fucking *happy*.

I never thought that I would love someone so fiercely, but here I am. I may not know what the future holds, but as long as he's in it, I think it'll all be okay.

The moral of the story? Some things really do find you the minute you stop looking.

Also, always offer help when it comes to building IKEA furniture, that stuff is a real pain in the ass.



Submitted April 22, 2019 at 01:16AM

I’ve had some type of dating site for five (5) years. I went on over 20+ dates. I only had a second date once, and after I thought everything went so well, he told me he was no longer interested.I've dealt with depression and anxiety since I was 15, and dating was already difficult enough. After that last date, I didn’t feel comfortable going on any after that. I was so sure that I was destined to be alone (I’m only 22, so yeah, that was naive).I was tired of men. I’d been on dates where the men had insulted my work, my appearance, I experienced a sexual assault on one, and I was just genuinely downtrodden. So I vowed that I’d stop looking.I deleted all of my dating apps, cleared my mind, and started focusing more on myself and my work/schooling.And then, right as I’d given up: I was talking to my female coworker (kind of like a second mother to me) about how cute our other coworker was in his work pants, haha. Of course, she told him. I didn't think much of it until my phone lit up one afternoon in the middle of class and it was him.We talked all day. We talked about our politics, about school, work, his hobbies and mine: and then he suggested we go to coffee to talk more. That's when we really hit it off. He was into all of the same hobbies but had hobbies of his own as well. Our political opinions were similar, our upbringings were both full of surprises, and everything was just... comfortable.Fast forward to the end of the first date—we walked into my apartment and he immediately saw my empty IKEA furniture boxes that I had yet to put together.“Do you want some help with these?”I never believed in any sort of love before that moment. But now I had a man in front of me that was seriously offering to help me tackle the Mount Everest of furniture assembly.That was the moment I knew I loved him.Since that day 5 months ago, I've fallen more in love with him every day.He's helped me build IKEA furniture (a task that is worthy of love in the first place), he's encouraged me to work on my hobbies and gives me tips/tricks to improve while he works alongside me. He recently lost his mom and he communicated his feelings throughout the entire thing and he lets me know when he needs something.He not only makes me want to be a better person, but he does so without tearing down the person I am now.While he's already swept me off of my feet by this point, the most heartwarming thing happened recently.My roommates had suddenly decided they no longer want to live with me after our lease is up in July. This left me only a few months to scramble and find another apartment, while having very little savings.I needed someone to rant to and had just happened to complain about it to my partner, and without hesitation: he suggested that I move in with him.And so, the second the lease is over, I'll finally be moving into a place with the person I love.We've started saving money and have a little bit saved already and we don't even move in until August! We've been so excited. We talk about filling the place with hanging plants and flowers, how we'll be cooking meals together in an effort to become healthier, and I am just so fucking *happy*.I never thought that I would love someone so fiercely, but here I am. I may not know what the future holds, but as long as he's in it, I think it'll all be okay.The moral of the story? Some things really do find you the minute you stop looking.Also, always offer help when it comes to building IKEA furniture, that stuff is a real pain in the ass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.