I (M28) hate my father for having an affair and secret child. Am I right to feel this way?

Am I right to hate my Dad for having a secret child.

I’m 28 years old now. When I was about 14 I started noticing signs that my dad was having an affair. Overheard phone calls, saw texts, away on “business trips”....This went on for years before I finally lost it and called him out for it in front of my mom around age 17. He completely denied it, my parents had a long talk and my mom basically told me that I was overthinking it all and that she believes him and I have to apologize to him.

Fast forward to when I was about 26 I found out that my dad has a secret child and so I confronted them again about it but still denial. He ends up telling me this bs story that he was caring for a coworkers kid that lost his father and he became like a father to him.

My entire adult life I have never had any respect for him for what I know he has done. Any time he would get mad at me for even the smallest thing I would lose it because I felt he had no right to be mad at me for anything when he knows I know what he did. I have always had relationship and trust issues which I am now realizing are caused by my childhood. It has gotten to the point now that I don’t want anything to do with him anymore.

I know he feels terrible about what he’s done and he is always trying to improve our relationship but I just can never get over it. I always end up fighting with him.

Am I right to feel this way about my own father? Would it be so terrible to just push him out of my life at this point?

TLDR; I hate my father for having an affair and secret child. Am I right to feel this way? Should o push him out of my life?



Submitted August 12, 2020 at 12:05AM

Am I right to hate my Dad for having a secret child.I’m 28 years old now. When I was about 14 I started noticing signs that my dad was having an affair. Overheard phone calls, saw texts, away on “business trips”....This went on for years before I finally lost it and called him out for it in front of my mom around age 17. He completely denied it, my parents had a long talk and my mom basically told me that I was overthinking it all and that she believes him and I have to apologize to him.Fast forward to when I was about 26 I found out that my dad has a secret child and so I confronted them again about it but still denial. He ends up telling me this bs story that he was caring for a coworkers kid that lost his father and he became like a father to him.My entire adult life I have never had any respect for him for what I know he has done. Any time he would get mad at me for even the smallest thing I would lose it because I felt he had no right to be mad at me for anything when he knows I know what he did. I have always had relationship and trust issues which I am now realizing are caused by my childhood. It has gotten to the point now that I don’t want anything to do with him anymore.I know he feels terrible about what he’s done and he is always trying to improve our relationship but I just can never get over it. I always end up fighting with him.Am I right to feel this way about my own father? Would it be so terrible to just push him out of my life at this point?TLDR; I hate my father for having an affair and secret child. Am I right to feel this way? Should o push him out of my life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.