My (19F) boyfriend (21M) doesn't like me being friends with my ex (20M)

Sorry if this is a bit all over the place, I'm new to this!

So the title somewhat speaks for itself, but the thing is my boyfriend and I have been dating for about 6ish months now and he has never straight up said that he doesn't like my ex, it's more the things he says when my ex gets brought up in conversations and the way he acts that makes me think that.

He always jokes around when my ex sends me a message etc about things like "oh better reply to your boyfriend so he won't get worried" or "if you tell him im being mean, I'm sure he'll come to your rescue in a heartbeat" and to me its all good fun and I don't mind the jokes, I think they're kinda funny every once in a while to be honest, but sometimes he goes too far or goes on about it for too long and it gets really frustrating, plus I'm more worried about if they're more than just jokes to my boyfriend.

My boyfriend has seen the dynamic between me and my ex and knows that I'm completely platonic when hanging out with said ex, he has even said before that he trusts that i would never do anything and knows that i have no feelings for the ex what so ever, but i dont think he trusts my ex. He seems really uncomfortable when I tell him I went for a cigarette with my ex or he came to hang out for a bit, or whenever my boyfriend hears about me interacting with my ex in some way, even tho me and my ex broke up back in 2016 and he knows there has been nothing between us since then.

And yeah I get the whole "can't get along with everyone" thing and It's fine by me if they aren't best buddies, but I wish my boyfriend could understand that my ex means a lot to me, we look out for each other and we always have, even tho his my ex he's also a really great friend to me and he has saved me from shitty situations countless times, I just wish my boyfriend could understand my point of view and also get some peace of mind and realize that there is nothing for him to be worried about. I feel really bad cause my boyfriend is so sweet and I care about him so so much, he should never have to worry about things like this or be insecure etc but I don't know how to help reassure him that there's no need to worry and that nothing will ever happen between me and my ex.

So my question is pretty much has anyone ever been in a similar situation and how could I make my boyfriend understand my side of this & see that he has no reason to worry.

TL;DR My boyfriend "jokes'' about my ex having feelings for me and is uncomfortable with me talking to my ex and being friends with him, but there is nothing going on between my ex and I, and hasn't been since we broke up years ago. How do I make my boyfriend understand my side of this and see that there is nothing to worry about truly.



Submitted November 24, 2019 at 11:50PM

Sorry if this is a bit all over the place, I'm new to this!So the title somewhat speaks for itself, but the thing is my boyfriend and I have been dating for about 6ish months now and he has never straight up said that he doesn't like my ex, it's more the things he says when my ex gets brought up in conversations and the way he acts that makes me think that.He always jokes around when my ex sends me a message etc about things like "oh better reply to your boyfriend so he won't get worried" or "if you tell him im being mean, I'm sure he'll come to your rescue in a heartbeat" and to me its all good fun and I don't mind the jokes, I think they're kinda funny every once in a while to be honest, but sometimes he goes too far or goes on about it for too long and it gets really frustrating, plus I'm more worried about if they're more than just jokes to my boyfriend.My boyfriend has seen the dynamic between me and my ex and knows that I'm completely platonic when hanging out with said ex, he has even said before that he trusts that i would never do anything and knows that i have no feelings for the ex what so ever, but i dont think he trusts my ex. He seems really uncomfortable when I tell him I went for a cigarette with my ex or he came to hang out for a bit, or whenever my boyfriend hears about me interacting with my ex in some way, even tho me and my ex broke up back in 2016 and he knows there has been nothing between us since then.And yeah I get the whole "can't get along with everyone" thing and It's fine by me if they aren't best buddies, but I wish my boyfriend could understand that my ex means a lot to me, we look out for each other and we always have, even tho his my ex he's also a really great friend to me and he has saved me from shitty situations countless times, I just wish my boyfriend could understand my point of view and also get some peace of mind and realize that there is nothing for him to be worried about. I feel really bad cause my boyfriend is so sweet and I care about him so so much, he should never have to worry about things like this or be insecure etc but I don't know how to help reassure him that there's no need to worry and that nothing will ever happen between me and my ex.So my question is pretty much has anyone ever been in a similar situation and how could I make my boyfriend understand my side of this & see that he has no reason to worry.TL;DR My boyfriend "jokes'' about my ex having feelings for me and is uncomfortable with me talking to my ex and being friends with him, but there is nothing going on between my ex and I, and hasn't been since we broke up years ago. How do I make my boyfriend understand my side of this and see that there is nothing to worry about truly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.