Girlfriend wants to take a break, but giving me the choice on how I think we should do it.

tl;dr - Feeling a bit either trapped or confused here. Girlfriend and I are having trouble and she came to me crying, asshe feels like she needs some time to figure out what she needs to do and who she is, and therefore she wants to take a break. We live together, so she gives me the following options of either fully splitting up for a long period of time or halfway splitting up for a potentially shorter period of time:

A. We take a break by her sleeping in different rooms, and she says she would be fine with me seeing other people to see if I find anything out by doing so (ie, happier with someone else), with the hopes that maybe we find out that we do want to start up being in a relationship together again, or not.

B. We take a break by her moving out (my place, but filled with both of our stuff), in which case she says that it would be a longer term situation because she hates the concept of having all of her stuff/life split between her mother's house (where she would be staying) and here. In this situation she would most likely move all of her stuff out.

I'm uncertain what to do because she raises some points about how she doesn't do things with me that I would like to do with my partner, namely have kids, go outdoors more often, camp occasionally, et cetera. On the other hand, if we take a break and she stays (just in another room), we will both more easily be able to handle rent. I've lost a family member due to depression from him and his wife taking a 'break' and her moving about 5 doors down the street, so I just feel like I'm on very shakey ground in terms of making a decision as I feel like her staying her might put me too close to the issue to make any headway, especially if I started dating again.

Any input is welcome.



Submitted November 24, 2019 at 11:20PM

tl;dr - Feeling a bit either trapped or confused here. Girlfriend and I are having trouble and she came to me crying, asshe feels like she needs some time to figure out what she needs to do and who she is, and therefore she wants to take a break. We live together, so she gives me the following options of either fully splitting up for a long period of time or halfway splitting up for a potentially shorter period of time:​A. We take a break by her sleeping in different rooms, and she says she would be fine with me seeing other people to see if I find anything out by doing so (ie, happier with someone else), with the hopes that maybe we find out that we do want to start up being in a relationship together again, or not.​B. We take a break by her moving out (my place, but filled with both of our stuff), in which case she says that it would be a longer term situation because she hates the concept of having all of her stuff/life split between her mother's house (where she would be staying) and here. In this situation she would most likely move all of her stuff out.​I'm uncertain what to do because she raises some points about how she doesn't do things with me that I would like to do with my partner, namely have kids, go outdoors more often, camp occasionally, et cetera. On the other hand, if we take a break and she stays (just in another room), we will both more easily be able to handle rent. I've lost a family member due to depression from him and his wife taking a 'break' and her moving about 5 doors down the street, so I just feel like I'm on very shakey ground in terms of making a decision as I feel like her staying her might put me too close to the issue to make any headway, especially if I started dating again.​Any input is welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.