some of my [29F] friends are being weird about my religion and I'm not sure how to deal with it

I was an atheist for many years and a lot of people got to know me during that time or haven't realized I'm anything else but I very recently converted to a religion that is less than popular among my friend groups for some reasons that are good and some reasons that are bad

I don't know exactly what I believe beyond a point and as such I'm very low key about it and don't bring it up and still feel like the same person as before, not a whole lot has changed about me

the newness and differentness of the conversion experience is making it not terribly easy for me to deal with (or talk about lol) either, it's a pretty big change and big changes are uncomfortable, there's a lot of questioning and a lot of self-doubt and it's just a very weird time to be me

here's basically what happened today:

me: wow I want to watch a zombie movie

friend: hey I'm uncomfortable with your religion let's discuss it

me: zom...bies? 😢

how do I get people to be maybe more sensitive? how can I most politely refuse to "discuss" (debate) with them? what should I do for the couple especially belligerent cases who won't stop trying to "discuss" it?

tl;dr: religion happened, friends being not cool, assistance needed



Submitted September 07, 2019 at 12:09AM

I was an atheist for many years and a lot of people got to know me during that time or haven't realized I'm anything else but I very recently converted to a religion that is less than popular among my friend groups for some reasons that are good and some reasons that are badI don't know exactly what I believe beyond a point and as such I'm very low key about it and don't bring it up and still feel like the same person as before, not a whole lot has changed about methe newness and differentness of the conversion experience is making it not terribly easy for me to deal with (or talk about lol) either, it's a pretty big change and big changes are uncomfortable, there's a lot of questioning and a lot of self-doubt and it's just a very weird time to be mehere's basically what happened today:me: wow I want to watch a zombie moviefriend: hey I'm uncomfortable with your religion let's discuss itme: zom...bies? 😢how do I get people to be maybe more sensitive? how can I most politely refuse to "discuss" (debate) with them? what should I do for the couple especially belligerent cases who won't stop trying to "discuss" it?tl;dr: religion happened, friends being not cool, assistance needed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.