Should I (19M) enter a relationship with someone (19F) who's going to be gone for an extended period of time in the near future?

Hey y'all- figured I should get some alternate perspectives.

I met a girl at college a year ago, and she's basically perfect- if I made a list of everything I'm looking for in a partner, she would hit almost every bullet point. We hooked up a few times at the end of last year/over the summer, but now she's telling me that she wants something deeper than that. Normally I would've been ecstatic, but I've got one hangup: this July, she'll be leaving for a 6 month study abroad trip; I won't get to see her again until December. I know that's almost a year away, and I don't want to stop her from doing something she's always wanted to do, but I still worry. I hear all sorts of horror stories about the strain long distance puts on a relationship, and I definitely want to keep her my life in some capacity; I don't want a failed romance to ruin that.

I explained to her how I felt; she said my concerns were reasonable, and that she also worried sometimes about me getting lonely and finding a replacement for her during her time abroad. However, she told me she was committed to making this work if I was (and for what it's worth, I believe her, but I know feelings can change).

Should I commit to a relationship with this girl? Or are those 6 months too much of a barrier?

TL;DR: Concerned about starting a relationship that I know is going to become long distance in the near future.



Submitted October 06, 2019 at 12:17AM

Hey y'all- figured I should get some alternate perspectives.I met a girl at college a year ago, and she's basically perfect- if I made a list of everything I'm looking for in a partner, she would hit almost every bullet point. We hooked up a few times at the end of last year/over the summer, but now she's telling me that she wants something deeper than that. Normally I would've been ecstatic, but I've got one hangup: this July, she'll be leaving for a 6 month study abroad trip; I won't get to see her again until December. I know that's almost a year away, and I don't want to stop her from doing something she's always wanted to do, but I still worry. I hear all sorts of horror stories about the strain long distance puts on a relationship, and I definitely want to keep her my life in some capacity; I don't want a failed romance to ruin that.I explained to her how I felt; she said my concerns were reasonable, and that she also worried sometimes about me getting lonely and finding a replacement for her during her time abroad. However, she told me she was committed to making this work if I was (and for what it's worth, I believe her, but I know feelings can change).Should I commit to a relationship with this girl? Or are those 6 months too much of a barrier?TL;DR: Concerned about starting a relationship that I know is going to become long distance in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.