My (24M) self loathing is hurting my GF (21F) and I want to change.

I've always struggled with self loathing and deeply internalised feelings of inadequacy, which I've always just channeled into self depreciating humour. A year ago I started dating someone incredible, and from the first moment it really offended and saddened her when I showed that side of myself.

I'm trying to avoid making jokes at my own expense, and whilst that's helping reduce how much I show my self hatred go her, it's doing nothing to actually fix the core issue.

Has anyone dealt with this before, and can anyone offer some advice on working through it?

Tl:Dr I hate myself and my girlfriend hates that.



Submitted June 25, 2019 at 11:41PM

I've always struggled with self loathing and deeply internalised feelings of inadequacy, which I've always just channeled into self depreciating humour. A year ago I started dating someone incredible, and from the first moment it really offended and saddened her when I showed that side of myself.I'm trying to avoid making jokes at my own expense, and whilst that's helping reduce how much I show my self hatred go her, it's doing nothing to actually fix the core issue.Has anyone dealt with this before, and can anyone offer some advice on working through it?Tl:Dr I hate myself and my girlfriend hates that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.