19, M. Does anyone else struggle to take risks with relationships out of fear of being “exposed”?

This dating fear almost certainly stems from social media, but it’s one I’m struggling to deal with.

I’m 19 and broke up with my girlfriend of 2 years in about February. Since then my self confidence has taken a bit of a dive but I’ve been trying to meet new people and make new relationships. The problem is I have the constant feeling that in the modern dating world as soon as you shoot your shot or make yourself vulnerable people just seem to want to expose you. Whether it’s posting Screenshots on twitter or telling their friends everything you said or did and laughing about it, it seems like no one is really safe from constant attempts to be embarrassed.

Is this some sort of weird trust issue / low self esteem problem I have or do you think it’s an increasing problem with social media?

TL;DR the Internet has fuelled a fear that I’ll be ridiculed by anyone I take a risk with



Submitted December 29, 2019 at 12:18AM

This dating fear almost certainly stems from social media, but it’s one I’m struggling to deal with.I’m 19 and broke up with my girlfriend of 2 years in about February. Since then my self confidence has taken a bit of a dive but I’ve been trying to meet new people and make new relationships. The problem is I have the constant feeling that in the modern dating world as soon as you shoot your shot or make yourself vulnerable people just seem to want to expose you. Whether it’s posting Screenshots on twitter or telling their friends everything you said or did and laughing about it, it seems like no one is really safe from constant attempts to be embarrassed.Is this some sort of weird trust issue / low self esteem problem I have or do you think it’s an increasing problem with social media?TL;DR the Internet has fuelled a fear that I’ll be ridiculed by anyone I take a risk with

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.