I (M30) want kids but my girlfriend (F37) doesn’t

My girlfriend and I got together about a year ago. Through conversations we’ve had it’s become apparent that she’s not really interested in having kids.

I always thought I would have a family, from a pretty young age. However through my twenties I had quite a few relationships which didn’t work out for one reason or another.

My girlfriend is the first person who has brought the same amount of enthusiasm and love to the relationship that I’m bringing. I’ve fallen completely in love and am really happy. She’s a brilliant person and I feel really lucky to be with her. I’m in the relationship I have always hoped to be in.

It feels like it would be crazy to throw all that away. However I’ve just always thought I would be a Dad and would build a home. I’m a really loving person and have always thought I would be a really good dad.

I think there was a time some years ago that she would have been open to the idea, but kind of shelved that and came to peace with it after her last partner was not interested.

She is 37 so time is not on our side, and we are still new as a couple. Another (secondary) factor against is that her folks are in Australia and we are in the UK.

The idea of breaking up is unthinkable. It feels crazy to throw this away after I’ve wanted it so long. If I learnt anything over the last ten years is that relationships and people like this don’t come along often. I grew up with parents in pretty miserable relationships so I know that is no life, with or without kids.

However I’m worried that in the future I could end up regretting a decision not to have kids and end up resenting it.

TL;DR my brilliant girlfriend doesn’t want kids but I do



Submitted March 14, 2020 at 12:03AM

My girlfriend and I got together about a year ago. Through conversations we’ve had it’s become apparent that she’s not really interested in having kids.I always thought I would have a family, from a pretty young age. However through my twenties I had quite a few relationships which didn’t work out for one reason or another.My girlfriend is the first person who has brought the same amount of enthusiasm and love to the relationship that I’m bringing. I’ve fallen completely in love and am really happy. She’s a brilliant person and I feel really lucky to be with her. I’m in the relationship I have always hoped to be in.It feels like it would be crazy to throw all that away. However I’ve just always thought I would be a Dad and would build a home. I’m a really loving person and have always thought I would be a really good dad.I think there was a time some years ago that she would have been open to the idea, but kind of shelved that and came to peace with it after her last partner was not interested.She is 37 so time is not on our side, and we are still new as a couple. Another (secondary) factor against is that her folks are in Australia and we are in the UK.The idea of breaking up is unthinkable. It feels crazy to throw this away after I’ve wanted it so long. If I learnt anything over the last ten years is that relationships and people like this don’t come along often. I grew up with parents in pretty miserable relationships so I know that is no life, with or without kids.However I’m worried that in the future I could end up regretting a decision not to have kids and end up resenting it.TL;DR my brilliant girlfriend doesn’t want kids but I do

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.