My parents (45F, 43M) are getting divorced and I'm not handling it well

A little background: I (16F) immigrated to a European country at the beginning of summer 2018 with my mom and my dad. My brother (18M) stayed in North America to study at university. My mom was heartbroken over leaving my brother behind and took it very badly. She did not want to move in the first place (my dad is in oil so we didn't have much of a choice) and fought it every step of the way.

After a couple of months, my mom moved back to North America, leaving my dad and me here in Europe. She thought I was going to move back at the end of the school year last year, but I didn't (which is a whole other issue). So it's been 10 months of my parents living in different continents, 10 months of just my dad and I living together.

My brother and I both figured it'd happen. We've talked about it, joked about it, and accepted it. So when my parents told me last week that they were officially getting a divorce, it didn't surprise me.

What's messing me up now is the reality of it. I had to watch my dad come to terms with it, and I still don't quite know what to think. It's on very good terms for both of them, there's no animosity, so it could be worse.

I guess I just miss having parents in love.

Realistically, I know it's better for both of them, and I'm 16. I'm a big girl, I can handle this. At the same time, I feel lost in a way I never have before, even if both of them are still a duo that's raising me the best they can. I feel like I lost a foundation I assumed would always be there.

Any advice on how I can cope with this in a way that isn't making memes or writing poetry about it?

tl;dr: my parents are getting divorced and I don't know how to handle it healthily.



Submitted October 13, 2019 at 11:22PM

A little background: I (16F) immigrated to a European country at the beginning of summer 2018 with my mom and my dad. My brother (18M) stayed in North America to study at university. My mom was heartbroken over leaving my brother behind and took it very badly. She did not want to move in the first place (my dad is in oil so we didn't have much of a choice) and fought it every step of the way.After a couple of months, my mom moved back to North America, leaving my dad and me here in Europe. She thought I was going to move back at the end of the school year last year, but I didn't (which is a whole other issue). So it's been 10 months of my parents living in different continents, 10 months of just my dad and I living together.My brother and I both figured it'd happen. We've talked about it, joked about it, and accepted it. So when my parents told me last week that they were officially getting a divorce, it didn't surprise me.What's messing me up now is the reality of it. I had to watch my dad come to terms with it, and I still don't quite know what to think. It's on very good terms for both of them, there's no animosity, so it could be worse.I guess I just miss having parents in love.Realistically, I know it's better for both of them, and I'm 16. I'm a big girl, I can handle this. At the same time, I feel lost in a way I never have before, even if both of them are still a duo that's raising me the best they can. I feel like I lost a foundation I assumed would always be there.Any advice on how I can cope with this in a way that isn't making memes or writing poetry about it?​tl;dr: my parents are getting divorced and I don't know how to handle it healthily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.