I [26F] will spend this Christmas completely alone for the first time, any tips on how to make the best of it?

I will be alone this Christmas. I cut contact with my mother this year because it was always toxic and abusive and getting too much to handle finally. Up to now I had always come 'home' to her for Christmas which was difficult in other ways but at least I got some of that family Christmas stuff.

I have no other family I could go to, the contact to the rest is cordial but uninterested at best. I do have friends, but they will all be with their own family. I know it's not really the end of the world, but I do like Christmas normally and always loved celebrating it even when it wasn't perfect, and the thought of just sitting at home alone during those days is a bit depressing.

I'm thinking of maybe going on vacation, though ultimately I'd still be 'alone' but it could take my mind off stuff. Any other tips, also on how to deal with it emotionally I guess?


tl,dr: I will spend Christmas alone for the first time due to having no remaining family or people to spend it with. How do I avoid just sitting at home being depressed during those days?



Submitted October 13, 2019 at 11:51PM

I will be alone this Christmas. I cut contact with my mother this year because it was always toxic and abusive and getting too much to handle finally. Up to now I had always come 'home' to her for Christmas which was difficult in other ways but at least I got some of that family Christmas stuff.I have no other family I could go to, the contact to the rest is cordial but uninterested at best. I do have friends, but they will all be with their own family. I know it's not really the end of the world, but I do like Christmas normally and always loved celebrating it even when it wasn't perfect, and the thought of just sitting at home alone during those days is a bit depressing.I'm thinking of maybe going on vacation, though ultimately I'd still be 'alone' but it could take my mind off stuff. Any other tips, also on how to deal with it emotionally I guess?tl,dr: I will spend Christmas alone for the first time due to having no remaining family or people to spend it with. How do I avoid just sitting at home being depressed during those days?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.