My brain is self-sabotaging me

I'm [21f] and my bf if [22m], we have been together a year.

Tldr: I have overthinking tendencies and I don't want them to negatively affect my boyfriend as well as me.

I'm doing really well, usually if I was by myself my head would run wild with overthinking, but I've felt really settled this week, like a weight has been lifted.

But I just felt some worries slipping back in a little and I hate myself for being back on reddit because I don't think it's good for me.

For months I was overthinking a few times where I looked at someone I thought was attractive for a little longer than normal, or another time where I was with a group of new friends and my sister and one of my new friends squirted a syringe shot in my mouth for fun. Basically I've been overthinking these times as if I have betrayed my boyfriend, even though he wouldn't think that.

Last weekend I broke down crying about it on him after he told me to open up; he knows I can get anxiety. And he said what would I feel if the situation was reversed eg with the shot thing, and I said it would be fine (he was showing me it's not a big deal at all). Plus he thought it was adorable and funny that I was stressed about looking at someone too long, but also understood and was so supportive. Honestly he is so bloody great.

I've had a problem with alcohol and the last few months I'm doing great with moderating, I'm proud of myself. But I convince myself things have happened when they haven't and even that I might have cheated on him or hit someone or something like that.

Reddit has warped my mind a bit and I now think he is going to think my crying is some manipulation technique to cover real cheating, when really my brain just likes to cling on the littlest thing and I wouldn't do that. He hasn't changed how he is with me or anything, and I feel if I bring it up more it will make him think it more or make him think he has to be my counsellor or something. But it's just ridiculous I seem so against myself in my head...

The day after the crying we had sex and I had intrusive thoughts during it and my head kept putting his best friends name into it and it was horrible. I had to stop for a minute and go to the bathroom to get it out of my head. I think his friend is good looking but I would never pursue him or anyone else and I love my boyfriend. But it won't even be pictures of him in my head, just his name, like self-sabotage and the more I try to get it out, the more my head keeps it in, it's horrible, I love my boyfriend so much, I really think these are just intrusive thoughts and I don't want them.

Does anyone have any advice? I feel like even though I am now calm over the last lot overthinking, something else just replaces it.



Submitted January 16, 2020 at 10:47PM

I'm [21f] and my bf if [22m], we have been together a year.Tldr: I have overthinking tendencies and I don't want them to negatively affect my boyfriend as well as me.I'm doing really well, usually if I was by myself my head would run wild with overthinking, but I've felt really settled this week, like a weight has been lifted.But I just felt some worries slipping back in a little and I hate myself for being back on reddit because I don't think it's good for me.For months I was overthinking a few times where I looked at someone I thought was attractive for a little longer than normal, or another time where I was with a group of new friends and my sister and one of my new friends squirted a syringe shot in my mouth for fun. Basically I've been overthinking these times as if I have betrayed my boyfriend, even though he wouldn't think that.Last weekend I broke down crying about it on him after he told me to open up; he knows I can get anxiety. And he said what would I feel if the situation was reversed eg with the shot thing, and I said it would be fine (he was showing me it's not a big deal at all). Plus he thought it was adorable and funny that I was stressed about looking at someone too long, but also understood and was so supportive. Honestly he is so bloody great.I've had a problem with alcohol and the last few months I'm doing great with moderating, I'm proud of myself. But I convince myself things have happened when they haven't and even that I might have cheated on him or hit someone or something like that.Reddit has warped my mind a bit and I now think he is going to think my crying is some manipulation technique to cover real cheating, when really my brain just likes to cling on the littlest thing and I wouldn't do that. He hasn't changed how he is with me or anything, and I feel if I bring it up more it will make him think it more or make him think he has to be my counsellor or something. But it's just ridiculous I seem so against myself in my head...The day after the crying we had sex and I had intrusive thoughts during it and my head kept putting his best friends name into it and it was horrible. I had to stop for a minute and go to the bathroom to get it out of my head. I think his friend is good looking but I would never pursue him or anyone else and I love my boyfriend. But it won't even be pictures of him in my head, just his name, like self-sabotage and the more I try to get it out, the more my head keeps it in, it's horrible, I love my boyfriend so much, I really think these are just intrusive thoughts and I don't want them.Does anyone have any advice? I feel like even though I am now calm over the last lot overthinking, something else just replaces it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.