Should I (23 F) feel bad about the level of PDA I express with my boyfriend (25 M)?

I (23 F) recently got into a relationship with my current boyfriend (25 M) about two and a half months ago. I spend the majority of the week with him at his and his roommate’s (23 M) apartment. When he and I were together with friends we always would always be super cuddly and kiss (just a peck) every now and then, but he, later on, was told by his roommate that he and their friends found it super uncomfortable and we needed to tone it down.

To be honest we weren’t that great about it and I had no idea that what we were doing wasn’t okay with the others because I only heard it through my boyfriend and nobody else. When we hung out with our friends after that we now just slightly cuddled (mostly rest on each other but fully cuddle when no one was around), gave a quick peck less often, and that was mostly it.

Just last week he was told again that what we were doing was not okay and at first I was pretty annoyed and unhappy with the fact that we needed to tone it down even more. For me, I had never encountered this problem in past relationships and I know now that this was the reason for my bitter mood (I’m also really stubborn and didn’t like the idea of other people dictating my actions which I thought were rational lmfao).

That day, I texted one of my good friends (22 F) who said that she went through a similar problem with her bf (22 M) where they went through an ‘intervention’ with their friends and gave me her rule of thumb: no cuddling, kissing, or touching unless you’re with your friends, which in case you are able to hold hands. I took this advice to heart since I was able to empathize with her and therefore feel understood.

Needless to say, I felt super shitty about how this was affecting other people and of course, agreed to keep the PDA to a complete minimum when other people are around.

So the questions I have regarding this is that:

Has the level of PDA we've been showing abnormal from what I've experienced and been doing in the past? Does anyone have any advice as to how I should handle this situation internally?

I know that I shouldn’t feel embarrassed but It’s been something that’s been eating away at me since last week. I honestly still feel kind of upset but also really embarrassed and don't know what to do.

TL;DR - I and my boyfriend's friend circle are uncomfortable with the level of PDA he and I have shown in the past and needed to correct it multiple times. Now I feel bad but I would like to know how other people view this situation for a more outward context and experience.



Submitted April 10, 2020 at 11:51PM

I (23 F) recently got into a relationship with my current boyfriend (25 M) about two and a half months ago. I spend the majority of the week with him at his and his roommate’s (23 M) apartment. When he and I were together with friends we always would always be super cuddly and kiss (just a peck) every now and then, but he, later on, was told by his roommate that he and their friends found it super uncomfortable and we needed to tone it down.To be honest we weren’t that great about it and I had no idea that what we were doing wasn’t okay with the others because I only heard it through my boyfriend and nobody else. When we hung out with our friends after that we now just slightly cuddled (mostly rest on each other but fully cuddle when no one was around), gave a quick peck less often, and that was mostly it.Just last week he was told again that what we were doing was not okay and at first I was pretty annoyed and unhappy with the fact that we needed to tone it down even more. For me, I had never encountered this problem in past relationships and I know now that this was the reason for my bitter mood (I’m also really stubborn and didn’t like the idea of other people dictating my actions which I thought were rational lmfao).That day, I texted one of my good friends (22 F) who said that she went through a similar problem with her bf (22 M) where they went through an ‘intervention’ with their friends and gave me her rule of thumb: no cuddling, kissing, or touching unless you’re with your friends, which in case you are able to hold hands. I took this advice to heart since I was able to empathize with her and therefore feel understood.Needless to say, I felt super shitty about how this was affecting other people and of course, agreed to keep the PDA to a complete minimum when other people are around.So the questions I have regarding this is that:Has the level of PDA we've been showing abnormal from what I've experienced and been doing in the past? Does anyone have any advice as to how I should handle this situation internally?I know that I shouldn’t feel embarrassed but It’s been something that’s been eating away at me since last week. I honestly still feel kind of upset but also really embarrassed and don't know what to do.TL;DR - I and my boyfriend's friend circle are uncomfortable with the level of PDA he and I have shown in the past and needed to correct it multiple times. Now I feel bad but I would like to know how other people view this situation for a more outward context and experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.