My mom (50) won’t stop saying that my (20) dad is not dead.

Basically the title. My dad passed away in a car accident about 6 years ago. My parents were divorced and he was a bit abusive. He was a very intelligent man with a drug problem.

My mom believes that he faked his death and lately she has been talking about it a lot. She recently found out his brother got a good deal of money when she passed and that has just added more fuel to the fire.

I know she has ptsd... we all do, to an extent, as the events that happened around his death were a bit extreme and he was not exactly a normal person.

I’ve started having nightmares again in which he is alive and angry at me for not doing certain things and it’s terrible. I haven’t been sleeping or eating. I don’t know what to do. I think part of it is my mom’s constant mentioning of this.

I don’t know how to get her to stop saying this and really believing it. At this point I am tempted to get a private investigator to show her he is really dead but beyond that I don’t know what to do. I’ve told her many times how I feel about it but lately it’s been getting worse and I really don’t know what to do.

Tl;dr: my mom thinks my abusive father is still alive and will show up at any moment and hurt her.



Submitted August 03, 2019 at 11:54PM

Basically the title. My dad passed away in a car accident about 6 years ago. My parents were divorced and he was a bit abusive. He was a very intelligent man with a drug problem.My mom believes that he faked his death and lately she has been talking about it a lot. She recently found out his brother got a good deal of money when she passed and that has just added more fuel to the fire.I know she has ptsd... we all do, to an extent, as the events that happened around his death were a bit extreme and he was not exactly a normal person.I’ve started having nightmares again in which he is alive and angry at me for not doing certain things and it’s terrible. I haven’t been sleeping or eating. I don’t know what to do. I think part of it is my mom’s constant mentioning of this.I don’t know how to get her to stop saying this and really believing it. At this point I am tempted to get a private investigator to show her he is really dead but beyond that I don’t know what to do. I’ve told her many times how I feel about it but lately it’s been getting worse and I really don’t know what to do.Tl;dr: my mom thinks my abusive father is still alive and will show up at any moment and hurt her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.