I feel like my best friend overshares and ‘uses’ me for advice

My friend (19F) likes to tell me (21F) all about her current relationships because I’m her “voice of reason” (her words). I don’t really like to be this person...I don’t like to hear every single detail and she kind of expects me to be there to tell her what’s right or wrong / what I believe in as if I were her mother...and then still does whatever she wants (obviously...it’s her life).

I should add that I do really appreciate our friendship but I also feel like it’s a bit overwhelming sometimes cuz if we have a disagreement she breaks down real bad and is afraid that we won’t be friends anymore... Imho I feel it’s a bit much and as if I can’t really do anything...as if I’m trapped...

I really don’t want to sound mean or horrible...just stating how I feel.

Tl;dr Friend is overwhelming and likes to use me as the “voice of reason” that has to always be there no matter how I feel - we are very different people. Has anyone else ever felt like this? What’s the best way to deal with this?



Submitted January 22, 2020 at 10:50PM

My friend (19F) likes to tell me (21F) all about her current relationships because I’m her “voice of reason” (her words). I don’t really like to be this person...I don’t like to hear every single detail and she kind of expects me to be there to tell her what’s right or wrong / what I believe in as if I were her mother...and then still does whatever she wants (obviously...it’s her life).I should add that I do really appreciate our friendship but I also feel like it’s a bit overwhelming sometimes cuz if we have a disagreement she breaks down real bad and is afraid that we won’t be friends anymore... Imho I feel it’s a bit much and as if I can’t really do anything...as if I’m trapped...I really don’t want to sound mean or horrible...just stating how I feel.Tl;dr Friend is overwhelming and likes to use me as the “voice of reason” that has to always be there no matter how I feel - we are very different people. Has anyone else ever felt like this? What’s the best way to deal with this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.