/u/perpetual_icicle on We need to discuss this ASAP.

I think there's a key difference between someone being asexual and being welcome in the asexual community.

A person's asexuality/allosexuality is a purely personal thing that depends on the answer to the question "do you feel sexual attraction for other human beings?" Any person's honest answer to that question is valid. That doesn't mean that a group organized around asexuality has to embrace everyone who is asexual. A person who does not feel sexual attraction--but wants to have sex because they see it as crucial to their social status and is frustrated because society is not giving them the sex they believe they deserve for their social status--would still be asexual. However, no space (e.g. this subreddit) would have to tolerate their toxic viewpoints just because an asexual person on this planet believes it.

It'd be like a homophobic gay person: the fact they're homophobic doesn't make them less gay, but it absolutely means queer spaces don't have to tolerate them.





August 06, 2019 at 12:12AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.