Not good enough for MIL

Soon to be MIL is middle eastern and although she “likes” me she sees me as uncultured and incapable of taking care of a household and not the best match for her son. She questions what her son sees in me but he takes this as her just being curious what her son likes about me whereas I see it as her not having a clue why he would like someone like me.

I use to feel much closer to his mom when I started hanging around their family more a couple years ago but at that time she didn’t know we were interested in each other. Once she found out, that’s when I felt a shift in our relationship and started to feel judged. I want to be respectful but this it’s hurtful to know she would prefer someone else for her son.

My SO (29) and I (29) have been together since 2012 and at the beginning of our relationship we were in our early 20s and he had a horrible wandering eye that he would pursue. He’s grown to be a very kind loving person that is very much in love with me but I’ve always been stressed that I’m not what he wants but what he settled for and has grown to love. I try not to let this get to me but now that I’m spending more time around his parents I feel like I can’t take the stress of not feeling good enough for him or his parents and I don’t know what to do.

I appreciate anyone’s advice or input.

Tl;dr: SOs mom wants better for her son and I find it hurtful to be seen as not feel good enough and don’t know what to do from here



Submitted August 01, 2019 at 11:47PM

Soon to be MIL is middle eastern and although she “likes” me she sees me as uncultured and incapable of taking care of a household and not the best match for her son. She questions what her son sees in me but he takes this as her just being curious what her son likes about me whereas I see it as her not having a clue why he would like someone like me.I use to feel much closer to his mom when I started hanging around their family more a couple years ago but at that time she didn’t know we were interested in each other. Once she found out, that’s when I felt a shift in our relationship and started to feel judged. I want to be respectful but this it’s hurtful to know she would prefer someone else for her son.My SO (29) and I (29) have been together since 2012 and at the beginning of our relationship we were in our early 20s and he had a horrible wandering eye that he would pursue. He’s grown to be a very kind loving person that is very much in love with me but I’ve always been stressed that I’m not what he wants but what he settled for and has grown to love. I try not to let this get to me but now that I’m spending more time around his parents I feel like I can’t take the stress of not feeling good enough for him or his parents and I don’t know what to do.I appreciate anyone’s advice or input.Tl;dr: SOs mom wants better for her son and I find it hurtful to be seen as not feel good enough and don’t know what to do from here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.