Me [23M] with my friend [19F] of less than 2 months. I will get dumped as a friend, if she get's a boyfriend. Should I end the friendship now, knowing that?

I've known this girl for a little less than two months now (I have heard about her from a mutual friend for about a year, so she's not something completely new). We get along fine, have had plenty of good times together discussing life and what else is happening in our lives and well.. I would lie if I said I wouldn't want something more with her, than just being friends, but that's not the problem right now, it's about whether or not I should invest time and energy, into keeping a friendship that might not stay for long.

At our last meetup, on the topic of relationships, she said that she thinks that one should not have friends of the opposite gender, if the person is in a relationship. She says life-long friends and workplace-friends are ok, but friends of the opposite gender outside those two categories, are not okay with her, or to quote her "they're unnecessary, and I don't think you should have them".

I have a few female friends, but we rarely text anyways, so for me it's not really a problem to adjust.. The problem is that with that logic, she will dump me, if she gets a boyfriend, even if we at that point, are friends.

So I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I feel like I waste my time and energy even just as being friends, because if I ultimately know that the friendship will end, then why would I spend time and energy on keeping it? So what should I do, enjoy the time that there is left, or already not cut her from my life and move on to potentially better things, or both?

tl:dr: A close female friend of mine believes that in a relationship, a male/female shouldn't have friends of the opposite gender, I will get dumped when she gets into a relationship. Am I better off leaving her now, or should I try to make the best of it, with the time that is left?



Submitted August 15, 2019 at 12:08AM

I've known this girl for a little less than two months now (I have heard about her from a mutual friend for about a year, so she's not something completely new). We get along fine, have had plenty of good times together discussing life and what else is happening in our lives and well.. I would lie if I said I wouldn't want something more with her, than just being friends, but that's not the problem right now, it's about whether or not I should invest time and energy, into keeping a friendship that might not stay for long.At our last meetup, on the topic of relationships, she said that she thinks that one should not have friends of the opposite gender, if the person is in a relationship. She says life-long friends and workplace-friends are ok, but friends of the opposite gender outside those two categories, are not okay with her, or to quote her "they're unnecessary, and I don't think you should have them".I have a few female friends, but we rarely text anyways, so for me it's not really a problem to adjust.. The problem is that with that logic, she will dump me, if she gets a boyfriend, even if we at that point, are friends.So I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I feel like I waste my time and energy even just as being friends, because if I ultimately know that the friendship will end, then why would I spend time and energy on keeping it? So what should I do, enjoy the time that there is left, or already not cut her from my life and move on to potentially better things, or both?tl:dr: A close female friend of mine believes that in a relationship, a male/female shouldn't have friends of the opposite gender, I will get dumped when she gets into a relationship. Am I better off leaving her now, or should I try to make the best of it, with the time that is left?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.