Sister [33F] contacted by a woman [41F] claiming to be a cousin nobody knew about

This will be a bit long winded - and there may be some vagueness as some of my family members use Reddit

My uncle has a child that was never really acknowledged for a long time within my family. He was always a bit of a secret and was not really mentioned when my grandparents would talk about the "grandkids". For whatever reason it was always like this, but ever since I was young I knew he was my cousin.

My sister has received messages from somebody who is claiming to be the daughter of my uncle. She has said she would like to know where she has come from, especially since she has her kids. She has said that her mother passed away and that her children have the right to know where they came from.

This unknown woman contacted my sister on facebook and asked if she knew my uncle and my cousin. She then mentioned their wives names, and their children's names. My sister seemed fairly convinced and this unknown woman has said that both my uncle and cousin have spoken to her, but have cut off contact and will not speak with her.

My thinking is this: If a person's Facebook profile is public - that information is pretty accessible. My sister is looking to be a martyr and is feeling very sorry for this woman who is saying these things. Yes that would be traumatic but I also feel like I cannot take things at face value.

My uncle has been disowned from most of my family - I am not sure what to do. My sister is getting upset at the family for not feeling sympathy for this person. I would not be surprised if that is the case, and I can imagine there is trauma that this woman would feel not being wanted or acknowledged by her legitimate family, but I will need more "evidence".

I'm at a loss for what to do.

TL:DR - Sister contacted by a woman claiming to be a family member, I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not convinced either. She is trying to be a martyr, assuming everything she says is gospel.



Submitted June 15, 2019 at 11:44PM

This will be a bit long winded - and there may be some vagueness as some of my family members use RedditMy uncle has a child that was never really acknowledged for a long time within my family. He was always a bit of a secret and was not really mentioned when my grandparents would talk about the "grandkids". For whatever reason it was always like this, but ever since I was young I knew he was my cousin.My sister has received messages from somebody who is claiming to be the daughter of my uncle. She has said she would like to know where she has come from, especially since she has her kids. She has said that her mother passed away and that her children have the right to know where they came from.This unknown woman contacted my sister on facebook and asked if she knew my uncle and my cousin. She then mentioned their wives names, and their children's names. My sister seemed fairly convinced and this unknown woman has said that both my uncle and cousin have spoken to her, but have cut off contact and will not speak with her.My thinking is this: If a person's Facebook profile is public - that information is pretty accessible. My sister is looking to be a martyr and is feeling very sorry for this woman who is saying these things. Yes that would be traumatic but I also feel like I cannot take things at face value.My uncle has been disowned from most of my family - I am not sure what to do. My sister is getting upset at the family for not feeling sympathy for this person. I would not be surprised if that is the case, and I can imagine there is trauma that this woman would feel not being wanted or acknowledged by her legitimate family, but I will need more "evidence".I'm at a loss for what to do.​TL:DR - Sister contacted by a woman claiming to be a family member, I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not convinced either. She is trying to be a martyr, assuming everything she says is gospel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.