My partner of three years "doesn't think about a future together." [Late 20s]

We've lived together the whole time, have a wonderful year old dog we raised from eight weeks, and things are otherwise great.

We have hit rough spots and always come out alright, but he says that he has "never thought about our future." At first, he'd claim that it was because we fought a lot. We'd fight if I drank too much. I've stopped overdoing it, and our fights have decreased to nothing.

We're both childfree, and he has zero desire to marry. I'm on the fence about it. Otherwise we're 100% on the same page about important deal breaking factors, like religion, politics, etc.

I feel as though he doesn't want to plan for a future with me because he is waiting for something better, but it breaks my heart, because when I ask him about our future (if he's excited about it or where he sees us) he responds with, "I don't know" or "I just don't think about it."

I've given him the opportunity to leave, and he is insistent that he wants to stay and that he is happy. The problem, though, is that his lack of excitement about a future together is really starting to make ME second guess things.

Tl;dr - my partner's lack of ambition towards are relationship is starting to make me question things.



Submitted June 16, 2019 at 12:29AM

We've lived together the whole time, have a wonderful year old dog we raised from eight weeks, and things are otherwise great.We have hit rough spots and always come out alright, but he says that he has "never thought about our future." At first, he'd claim that it was because we fought a lot. We'd fight if I drank too much. I've stopped overdoing it, and our fights have decreased to nothing.We're both childfree, and he has zero desire to marry. I'm on the fence about it. Otherwise we're 100% on the same page about important deal breaking factors, like religion, politics, etc.I feel as though he doesn't want to plan for a future with me because he is waiting for something better, but it breaks my heart, because when I ask him about our future (if he's excited about it or where he sees us) he responds with, "I don't know" or "I just don't think about it."I've given him the opportunity to leave, and he is insistent that he wants to stay and that he is happy. The problem, though, is that his lack of excitement about a future together is really starting to make ME second guess things.Tl;dr - my partner's lack of ambition towards are relationship is starting to make me question things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.