The Plight of the Gutless Single Person

A little background. I'm 33, single, male, straight, and I'm trying to meet women/friends outside of the few remaining in my social circles.

So I was going to go to a happy hour Meetup event down the street from where I work tonight. Never been to one, didn't know anyone, and going alone. Didn't see anyone that looked under 40 RSVP'd yes, so that's my excuse, and I chickened out and didn't go, of course.

So omw home I thought "I have to do SOMETHING other than sitting at home alone." So I stopped at a bar I know of and grabbed a drink and sat at a table alone. That's where I am right now, I'm writing this from the table.

There's an attractive woman, seemingly around my age, sitting at a table alone, on her laptop, looking just as awkward as I probably do.

There's also a group of men my age at the adjacent table discussing IT and their "current sprint" (agile dev) I do IT on a scrum team too.

And I can't bring myself to say a word to either of them.

So I told a friend that I'm here (not why), he's coming, and I'm going to use him as an excuse internally to not talk to any strangers.

...

I was a house appraiser for 13 years. I met and talked to strangers, in their private homes for a living, but the second my first impression might matter for more than a single professional appointment I can't do it??

I don't know how to get past this fear. I need solid advice from other folks that have been in this position. I know I need therapy for a few things anyway, should I add this to the list? What did you guys do??



Submitted February 19, 2020 at 11:52PM

A little background. I'm 33, single, male, straight, and I'm trying to meet women/friends outside of the few remaining in my social circles.So I was going to go to a happy hour Meetup event down the street from where I work tonight. Never been to one, didn't know anyone, and going alone. Didn't see anyone that looked under 40 RSVP'd yes, so that's my excuse, and I chickened out and didn't go, of course.So omw home I thought "I have to do SOMETHING other than sitting at home alone." So I stopped at a bar I know of and grabbed a drink and sat at a table alone. That's where I am right now, I'm writing this from the table.There's an attractive woman, seemingly around my age, sitting at a table alone, on her laptop, looking just as awkward as I probably do.There's also a group of men my age at the adjacent table discussing IT and their "current sprint" (agile dev) I do IT on a scrum team too.And I can't bring myself to say a word to either of them.So I told a friend that I'm here (not why), he's coming, and I'm going to use him as an excuse internally to not talk to any strangers....I was a house appraiser for 13 years. I met and talked to strangers, in their private homes for a living, but the second my first impression might matter for more than a single professional appointment I can't do it??I don't know how to get past this fear. I need solid advice from other folks that have been in this position. I know I need therapy for a few things anyway, should I add this to the list? What did you guys do??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.