/u/Phosdium on A little help identifying (aromantic vs demiromantic?)

Aromanticism, like asexuality, is also a spectrum, it just doesn't get that much attention. Had I not read the last paragraph, I would have (also) thought you as being demiromantic. I would ask myself the following questions though:

  1. Do I experience any & all form of attraction to this person? (Includes aesthetic, sensual, platonic, & others I'm forgetting; just to have a solid ground of understanding)
  2. Do I consider the person a squish? (A squish is a crush that lacks either romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or both: an urge to form a deep connection with someone or an intense feeling of attraction, liking, appreciation, or admiration. Generally speaking, a squish can be understood as a platonic version of a crush. So whereas a crush involves an urge to form a romantic relationship, a squish is about a desire to form a close friendship)

Nevertheless, there is no 'set' repulsion of anything when identifying with a label. You are right, asexuals needn't always be sex-repulsed & neither are aromantics always romance-repulsed (I don't know if that's the correct terminology, apologies in advance). The memes do (sometimes) take the more exaggerated route for comedic reasons solely. Again, aromanticism is a spectrum, aro-spec is another label you can identify with. Hope this helps! (IMO a quasi-platonic girlfriend sounds pretty fun!)





December 02, 2019 at 11:53PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.