Why does it take many years for some couples to decide to marry?

Hi r/dating,

This question's been on my mind for a little awhile as I've been reflecting on my aloneness and lack of experience in this arena of life.

I've noticed that some people date for (what seems to me) to be a prolonged period of time before getting engaged (say 5+ years) and I was curious what might account for that.

I understand that it takes time to get to know each other. You may be young and/or your life is rapidly evolving, and certainly there may be levels of escalation in a relationship as you move from courtship to potentially living together. But I always assumed (perhaps very naively) that after a few years, you know the person fairly well. At that point, either you want to commit permanently or you don't.

Why might a relationship take many years for a couple to agree to marry?



Submitted March 23, 2020 at 12:18AM

Hi r/dating,This question's been on my mind for a little awhile as I've been reflecting on my aloneness and lack of experience in this arena of life.I've noticed that some people date for (what seems to me) to be a prolonged period of time before getting engaged (say 5+ years) and I was curious what might account for that.I understand that it takes time to get to know each other. You may be young and/or your life is rapidly evolving, and certainly there may be levels of escalation in a relationship as you move from courtship to potentially living together. But I always assumed (perhaps very naively) that after a few years, you know the person fairly well. At that point, either you want to commit permanently or you don't.Why might a relationship take many years for a couple to agree to marry?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.