Guy getting a lot of "No Spark" from dates - where to go from here?

So as a now 40M, it's only quite recently I've actually been 'dating', vs finding girlfriends from friend groups etc

So far I've discovered I'm really not very good at it - in the last year and a half I've had a single mutual agreed second date (out of maybe 20+ total), though that didn't end up happening as neither of us were THAT into it, it seems.

Pretty consistently I get 'no spark' if I do show some interest in a second date and other cases it's obvious that's the case.

I'm not very good at "flirting" with people I don't know.

I feel dates tend to be a bit too much just talking about our lives maybe - but never run out of things to chat about and generally I'm good at finding plenty of "connection".

Any other men been here and what did you do?

Or, for anyone - any general dating tips for what makes you feel that 'spark'. (And yes I know it can be a bit hard to quantify, thus rounding up that description to "spark".)

Some Background:

Most recently I asked about the 'no spark' and she said it was a physical thing - I've since checked and actually the pics showing I'm bald (shaved stubble) had been cropped wrongly in that app - I'm really hoping it's just that and have fixed the pics in that app.

I'm not a big fan of my looks, but that doesn't harm my confidence. I seem to get some attention 'in real life' anyway - (6', low body fat and a bit above average muscle considering I don't work out with 38" chest, 30" waist; but my face looked better with a bit more weight.)

I have a decent enough job, a pretty varied life and take an interest in the world, keep myself busy doing loads of different activities, which have varied over the years. Practical and I try and reign back my nature to be overly helpful for fear it comes across a bit nice guy™.

I've been described in the past as "slow burn" - which of course isn't ideal for dating!

Finally; I know some don't believe you can or should try and change yourself/improve yourself in this sort of thing and suggest "Just be yourself". I accept your point of view, but reject it for myself. Since I was 8 when moving countries and I realised I wanted to change things about myself to fit in more, I've always been happy to try and improve my social situation - I'd be in a massively worse place if I hadn't, despite some of the hurdles life has thrown at me.



Submitted March 06, 2020 at 12:12AM

So as a now 40M, it's only quite recently I've actually been 'dating', vs finding girlfriends from friend groups etcSo far I've discovered I'm really not very good at it - in the last year and a half I've had a single mutual agreed second date (out of maybe 20+ total), though that didn't end up happening as neither of us were THAT into it, it seems.Pretty consistently I get 'no spark' if I do show some interest in a second date and other cases it's obvious that's the case.I'm not very good at "flirting" with people I don't know.I feel dates tend to be a bit too much just talking about our lives maybe - but never run out of things to chat about and generally I'm good at finding plenty of "connection".​Any other men been here and what did you do?Or, for anyone - any general dating tips for what makes you feel that 'spark'. (And yes I know it can be a bit hard to quantify, thus rounding up that description to "spark".)Some Background:Most recently I asked about the 'no spark' and she said it was a physical thing - I've since checked and actually the pics showing I'm bald (shaved stubble) had been cropped wrongly in that app - I'm really hoping it's just that and have fixed the pics in that app.I'm not a big fan of my looks, but that doesn't harm my confidence. I seem to get some attention 'in real life' anyway - (6', low body fat and a bit above average muscle considering I don't work out with 38" chest, 30" waist; but my face looked better with a bit more weight.)I have a decent enough job, a pretty varied life and take an interest in the world, keep myself busy doing loads of different activities, which have varied over the years. Practical and I try and reign back my nature to be overly helpful for fear it comes across a bit nice guy™.I've been described in the past as "slow burn" - which of course isn't ideal for dating!Finally; I know some don't believe you can or should try and change yourself/improve yourself in this sort of thing and suggest "Just be yourself". I accept your point of view, but reject it for myself. Since I was 8 when moving countries and I realised I wanted to change things about myself to fit in more, I've always been happy to try and improve my social situation - I'd be in a massively worse place if I hadn't, despite some of the hurdles life has thrown at me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.