My family has an annoying “boomer mentality”about everything!! Can this generational gap be ever bridged?

Hey, guys! I’m a 20 year old female college student & I constantly get into massive arguments with my family because of their “boomer mentality”. I’m not sure how to communicate with them anymore or even maintain a healthy relationship.

Both of my parents plus all of my grandparents went to college & earned their degrees in commerce or the humanities.They are all highly paid & successful white-collar professionals. They said I should pursue law school because I’m articulate, analytical & insightful lol.

I have told them that I won’t pursue a law degree unless I get a super high score on the LSAT ( above 90th percentile) & get into the top 20 schools. I heard the legal field is too over saturated to break into unless I attend a top school & get good internship opportunities.

When I made the decision to go to school for nursing instead of economics ( pre-law) , they were all shocked to death! They are constantly telling me how I’m wasting all of my potentials & underestimating my own abilities. They are also telling me to write my MCAT & apply to med school after finishing up my nursing degree lol. I have told them that I’ll think about it after I finish my degree. I have also told them that there’s a possibility that I’ll just be an RN & won’t bother applying to law or med school.

They seemed very angry & now accusing me of being lazy & unambitious. They don’t understand how difficult it is to get into a good law school or any med school in the states!! It’s not like the 60s when people became tenured profs before obtaining their PhDs or got hired on the spot when they walked into a bank with a commerce degree.

They refuse to acknowledge how the times have changed & seem disappointed in the career path that I had picked.

TLDR; can this generational gap be ever closed?



Submitted January 08, 2020 at 12:08AM

Hey, guys! I’m a 20 year old female college student & I constantly get into massive arguments with my family because of their “boomer mentality”. I’m not sure how to communicate with them anymore or even maintain a healthy relationship.Both of my parents plus all of my grandparents went to college & earned their degrees in commerce or the humanities.They are all highly paid & successful white-collar professionals. They said I should pursue law school because I’m articulate, analytical & insightful lol.I have told them that I won’t pursue a law degree unless I get a super high score on the LSAT ( above 90th percentile) & get into the top 20 schools. I heard the legal field is too over saturated to break into unless I attend a top school & get good internship opportunities.When I made the decision to go to school for nursing instead of economics ( pre-law) , they were all shocked to death! They are constantly telling me how I’m wasting all of my potentials & underestimating my own abilities. They are also telling me to write my MCAT & apply to med school after finishing up my nursing degree lol. I have told them that I’ll think about it after I finish my degree. I have also told them that there’s a possibility that I’ll just be an RN & won’t bother applying to law or med school.They seemed very angry & now accusing me of being lazy & unambitious. They don’t understand how difficult it is to get into a good law school or any med school in the states!! It’s not like the 60s when people became tenured profs before obtaining their PhDs or got hired on the spot when they walked into a bank with a commerce degree.They refuse to acknowledge how the times have changed & seem disappointed in the career path that I had picked.TLDR; can this generational gap be ever closed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.