/u/not-my-rum on I just found this gem

This definitely doesn’t make sense to me at all. Your lack of interest in fashion is a minimal preference that exists in your life. The reason your sexual orientation is a “centerpiece” of who you are is because it directly affects the trajectory of your life. It alters the way you have to navigate through the world, and even changes your access to certain human rights, unfortunately.

Additionally, fashion interest is a temporary thing. The clothing you wear today could be completely different than the clothing you wear tomorrow. And will likely be extremely different than the clothing you wear in ten years.

Another thing is, hobbies or interests, like interest in golfing or not, are choices you make. There are also no cultural expectations that you will be interested in golfing, and no “corrective strategies” to make you interested in them. And no one questions whether or not you actually are not interested in golfing once you’ve disclosed you are not.

Ultimately, I find this statement completely irrelevant to the discussion. The examples are so dissimilar to the conversation. They’re not relevant or accurate analogies. For me, the question isn’t about if they are correct or not, it’s more about the fact that they minimize the issues people who are asexual face, and compare our sexual orientation to minor things like fashion and golfing.

But that’s just me :)





August 22, 2019 at 12:20AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.