/u/JadedElk on Current Discourse Is So Frustrating

sex positivity includes respecting people who don't want to participate in kink. Including in an observing fashion. There should be ways for vanilla as fuck people to participate in pride, even outside of the ace subgroups (some aces are kinky, tho I'm sure that comes with its own set of issues). We need spaces that are open to younger folks, monogamous folks, vanilla folks, sex-repulsed folks (be they ace or otherwise).

I saw one take that was like "people think of queerness as a sex thing. That's why NB folks,* aces and vario-oriented folks aren't always considered queer -their thing isn't a sex thing. It's also why bigots are like ~ThInK oF ThE cHiLdReN~ all the time, because they see 'queer' and think 'sex thing'." and making pride a sex thing, or a very sexually charged atmosphere, feeds into that narrative.

(*I think the take might've said trans people, but they get fetishized to hell and back so. From the perspective of people reducing queerness to sexuality, I'd say they think it's a sex thing.)

ETA: Twitter is also just an aphobic cesspit. I try to stay off the ace discourse side, bc it legitimately hurts me to see so many people attacking something that's so important to my sense of self. Even if the aphobes are a minority, they're still vocal and it's still painful.





May 22, 2021 at 11:27PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.